• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Instock designer in potential lawsuit!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following the court case between Michael Douglas, Catharine Zeta-Jones and "Hello" magazine, there is a new paparazzo scandal!

The shot below was snapped whilst EC8010 and 7N7 were carrying out testing on the Instock amplifier.

The builder is very upset and is considering a $1,000,000 law suit for distress and damage to reputation. :bawling:

For those who have followed the story of the Instock, I have removed the grid stoppers on the 6528 entirely and so the D3As' cathodes are now truly directly-coupled to the ouptut valve.

The amplifier can now deliver 20W and sounds a touch crisper.

I'll post a revised drawing soon.

7N7

:att'n:P.S. That paparazzo was EC8010!!

Attachments

• instock3.jpg
    instock3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 837
Because I use them in my OTL designs and I don't need competition finding them.

If you know anyone who collects old audio magazines, Audio Update (the old Ike Eisenson magazine) had a cover picture of a 16 tube output stage using 6528s that Murray Zeligman and I built back in the late '70s. I still have the chassis for that amp- mono only, though, since we had a limited number of tubes.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
TTTSSSSS....

Hi,

Because I use them in my OTL designs and I don't need competition finding them.

Boy,oh boy...

I saw a lot of those in Rio de Janeiro back in '93...didn't dare to smuggle them out of there and went home with two dozen of H&K 6336As for peanuts.

I had trouble explaining what they were for at the Belgian customs though...:)

Cheers,;)

Re: 6528 stock

I have about ten 6528s in all.

It was a type introduced to me by chance by Rod at Valve & Tube supplies; he sold me my first five, four of which were Tung-Sol Chatham ones.

However the best ones were the six Raytheons I got from Micronetix (which did have substantial stocks I think) and another pair of Cetrons I got on ebay.

Frank, as a line stage valve I do not think that 6528 is an easy choice; how are you going to deal with the colossal Miller capacitance? (Ca-g = 23.8pF - and we all know that we can read that as at least 40pF) and mu is 9.....

Hence the cathode followers!

7N7

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002

Hi,

Raytheons

Ah....and the Chathams were probably 6528s NOT the A type?

Actually, both are very fine brands I love both of them.

Frank, as a line stage valve I do not think that 6528 is an easy choice; how are you going to deal with the colossal Miller capacitance? (Ca-g = 23.8pF - and we all know that we can read that as at least 40pF) and mu is 9.....

Mr.Miller will be driven from a S&B CVT, that is... I'll try a balanced SEPP stage behind the CVT (with C37 woodoo knobs of course;) ).

Just an idea though....

BTW, I know a local dealer that has some Raytheon in stock...need to ask the price though.

FWIW,the 6528 was used in a Gates transmitter,the BHF-10 and the tube is still carried by Penta Labs, Bruckner and Richardson.

Prices vary from 10 to 100 USD...deep sigh.:rolleyes:

If SY keeps on gobbling up the stock it is going to be 6080s though,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002

Hi,

6336 is a bit closer than 6080.

For what I had in mind...the mu of the 6528 would be handy.

Trying hard to talk me out of it,he?;)

Actually,there is likely a Russian tube that may come close...need to look it up.
6C41 perhaps.

Is any of you familiar with the TFK ED8000?
Marvellous curves and superb sounding thing.

Oh,while we're talking OTL...I read somewhere that a trioded EL509/6KG6 had an Ri of only 150 Ohm.
Has anyone checked this?

Cheers,;)

6c41

6c41 is like a 6080 with both sections paralleled , better still the 6C33 . I'm very impressed with the sound of the 6c33 , keep the anode dissipation under 50 watts and they just last and last . One problem with these Russian triodes is that they're variable test-wise . Still pretty cheap , just buy more than you need and select

316a

Re: 6528

fdegrove said:
Hi,

For what I had in mind...the mu of the 6528 would be handy.

Trying hard to talk me out of it,he?;)

Actually,there is likely a Russian tube that may come close...need to look it up.
6C41 perhaps.

Is any of you familiar with the TFK ED8000?
Marvellous curves and superb sounding thing.

Oh,while we're talking OTL...I read somewhere that a trioded EL509/6KG6 had an Ri of only 150 Ohm.
Has anyone checked this?

Cheers,;)

Well you should try triode-strapped 13E1.

This one has Pa of 95W, can pass half an amp and has ra as low as 130 ohms.

I use a couple in one of my amplifiers

7N7

Attachments

• mazda13e1.jpg
    mazda13e1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 634
Bas Horneman said:
What a beautiful tube 13E1...

What do they cost? Are they available?

Oeps...found them at billington..

STC 60 for a box of 10!! Not bad considering the others go for 80 a piece.

Have you listened to Billingtons amp based on the 13E1?

Yes when I first saw one I had to have them. I started with S/H ones at £10 each.

Billingtion's amplifier uses a strange collection of valves. I have not heard it.

Mine at present is using just a 5965 or 13D3 depending on mood and a 7N7. With only 320V of HT I get a gnat's over 30W. The 13E1s are running at 150mA each, so they will probably last for years.

The STC type is different and perhpas even better looking than the Mazda example I showed; there is also an EEV version with black innards and gold pins, but I have not had much luck with them.

7N7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.