• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

the OTHER tubes forum=yuck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I admit it - I spent 20 minutes reading the audio asylum "tubes" forum... and I couldn't wait to get back here. I've never seen more pointless, ludicrous posts in my life. It's nothing but "How do square getters sound in late-model amperex tubes?":dead:
Idiots.
Their "SET" asylum is even worse, if you can believe it. It's a bunch of dentists debating whose $12,000.00 monoblock has a wider "soundstage".
:bawling:

Anyway, although I have disagreements here, at least the substance level is generally very high. ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
YUCK.

Hi Joel,

Anyway, although I have disagreements here, at least the substance level is generally very high.

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone always agreed?

The good thing here is that in time you get to know you're crowd and in the process there is always "something" to be learned.

Kind of one big family.:hug:

Cheers,;)

On the other hand, just as on any forum, one needs to separate the wheat from the chaff. There are certainly folks on the SET forum, such as groverg and dave slagle, that have vast amounts of experience and knowledge with regard to the subject, perhaps even more so, dare I say, than several of the frequent posters here.

My dos centavos - Pat

tubesguy said:
...There are certainly folks on the SET forum, such as dave slagle, that have vast amounts of experience and knowledge with regard to the subject...

Dave's amp. I rest my case.;) :bigeyes:

Attachments

• daveslaglesamp.jpg
    daveslaglesamp.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 729
Asylum

More like Dave's power supply ! I know what you mean about the tubes asylum , I drop in there occasionally , too many knobheads . Far worse going in to insanity levels is the ridiculousness of the Hong Kong Tube Audio club . Over there it's not just the getter shape but colour of print , box (!!) , factory , person who made it , where they lived , their inside leg measurement , what they ate the day the tube was made and the complete history of the manufacturer going back to when they made lightbulbs in 1896 . I'm sure MSG rots your brain .

316a

Re: 7N7

316a said:
Oh , nearly forgot : 7N7 will tell a few stories about the tubes asylum (hehehe)

316a

I hadn't been there for quite a while, and when I did post something, I received one or two nice messages saying "welcome back" etc.

So I got stuck in, but after a short period of "Tube rollers", "What colour print?" "Can I plug in a 12AX7 into a 12AU7 socket", 6189 vs smooth plate/short plate/d-getter/ribbed plate" and all that bollocks I got fed up. There is a longish thread from early in January headed "Last Chance Saloon" where I said I was off. And as a parting shot I really laid into ECC81/12AT7 and ECC82/12AU7 saying "why all the fuss? These are not good valves."

This attracted a considerable stream of vitriolic comment about how crappy a 7N7 is and why was I always recommending them (I didn't and haven't). There were one or two supportive comments, it's true, but really the most frustrating thing is the endless repetition of the same old question "Which 12AU7?"

Arrrrgh

I agree that Tubes DIY is much better, but this forum is streets ahead and I am jolly glad I have found it.

Regards to all (even including the 12AU7 users:goodbad: )

7N7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.