B20 plus cheap helper tweeter - why?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering why so many of us like the B20 with a cheap helper tweeter. Some like piezos (I do) while others prefer domes. In either case, the helper tweeter is always cheap and always seems to enhance the sound.
Even when compared to more expensive Fostex drivers that extend past 20k, the B20 plus helper still sound as good or even better. Compared to my expensive Dynaudio D260 Esotec (or whatever its called) tweeter, I feel the piezo on top of the B20 produces a sweeter top end.
Maybe the question is why does an inexpensive helper tweeter change the sound so drastically of the B20?
And, how can that tweeter be so inexpensive and sound as good or better than the much more expensive one?
I think the answer has to do with the crossover frequency. What are your thoughts?

Well the B20 is obviously lacking in the higher octaves, so a helper tweeter is always welcome. I think the reason why a cheaper tweeter works is because of the crossover point. From my understanding, its not as difficult to produce frequencies above 10K with efficiency and fidelity. Reason being is most of the "meat" of the music is located below that point...

I am determined to use the B20 + helper tweeter as my next project. I have heard so many good things I just have to try it :D

I as well will be using the B20 with helper tweeter when I get around to it. I am getting married and have a baby on the way, so its hard to juggle a speaker project into the mix, but while the Canadian dollar is up, I will purchase the parts (I hope!).

Sorry I couldn't add to why it may sound so good, but what crossover frequency do you use on your piezo there Godzilla? Is that using the 1uF cap or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.