What constitutes a leaky Coupling capacitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've changed the coupling capacitors in a KT88 SE amp that I’ve been building. The KT88's are configured as triodes with 200k grid resistors.

I installed two new Sequa paper and aluminium foil coupling caps yesterday. The sound is glorious but the voltage on the KT88 grid for each channel is 0.2v and .007v. When I swapped the caps over the voltages were 0.7v and 0.1v.

I would really value some advice....is the grid voltage too high, shouldn't it be closer to 0v? Are the caps leaky?

Thank you
Andrew Parsons

Thanks for the ideas! Here's what I've tried:

1) I disconnected the coupling caps from the KT88 and measured a grid voltage of 14mv and 18mv on each channel respectively.

2) I replaced the coupling caps with 0.1uF orange drops and measured a grid voltage of about 19mv on each channel.

3) I then put the 0.047uF 600v Sequa coupling caps back in and measured a grid voltage of 128mv and 245mv on each channel respectively.

4) Next I changed the orientation of the Sequa caps in the circuit and measured a grid voltage of about 74mv and 291mv on each channel respectively.

For scenarios 3 and 4 above, I noticed that the initial leakage voltage was slightly higher within the first minute of operation before dropping by around 10% to the values recorded above.

The Sequa caps sound really good and the measured frequency response is great (-1dB 27Hz to 27KHz with only CFB). The question is whether 291mV of leakage is significant.

Kind Regards
Andrew Parsons

I've had some really obscure service problems on old test equipment due to leaky coupling caps, so I have little tolerance for it. Specifically, an increase in distortion in a waveform generator. I'd remove the caps and apply some significant portion of the rated voltage, then measure the leakage current with a meter. Any decent film cap will be nearly unmeasurable. They should be very low and at least match.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.