two different size subs???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am new to this forum thing, so be light on me!!!

i have a 2002 chevy tahoe. i am getting ready to install some subs! i want the music to sound clean and like i was sitting at a concert. currently, i have a kenwood KDC-mp735u head unit. for speakers, i have 4 cadence 6.5" fx series speakers, one for each of my doors. they are hooked up to a cadence fx plus amp, and these four speakers sound amazing. Ok, my problem is, i want to put in some subs,so i can get the deep bass notes to. is it common for people to use two different size subs? how would you hook this to an amp, would the wattage have to be the same. i am thinkin of using a single 10" and a single 15", has anyone done this? please help if you can!!!!

the truck comes stock with an 8" woofers in the back. i was thinking of replacing that with a 10", and then getting one high end 15" in an enclosure. i know, i would have to put both of the subs on an amp, but how.
i want to go with the two different sizes because of the bass frequencies each size puts out! 15" for the low-lows, and 10" for the higher lows.
as for a big enclosure up against my back seat, facing the rear window? why the back window? i don't want others to hear as much as me.

I wouldn't really consider the sound at a concert clean ;) But I get your drift. I think what you want is "impact". Theres no point in utilizing 2 different size subs, it'll do nothing for you.

You have a Tahoe which has alot of space and are great for reinforcing low notes. I'd go with a single 15 or 2 12's. Go with a ported enclosure and tune it low, 30hz's region! That'll smack you around nicely! :D

I have been mucking around with car audio for a number of years now, over half my life infact and I have used 8's, 10's, 12's and 15's and I always end up using 10's in every vehicle that I have owned. A good pair of 10's set up correctly will give loads of impact and still sound nice and tight and take up less space than 15's, of course if you still want more go for four 10's.....

justaname said:
the truck comes stock with an 8" woofers in the back. i was thinking of replacing that with a 10", and then getting one high end 15" in an enclosure. i know, i would have to put both of the subs on an amp, but how.
i want to go with the two different sizes because of the bass frequencies each size puts out! 15" for the low-lows, and 10" for the higher lows.
as for a big enclosure up against my back seat, facing the rear window? why the back window? i don't want others to hear as much as me.
Stick with one size sub and do not use the stock enclosure for anything other than hiding your stash.

As for placing the sub, I have found in SUV-type vehicles the bass in the drivers seat is much fuller and has more impact with the box placed where I suggested. As with everything in life your results may vary and don't hestitate to experiment.

different sized subs

interesting idea. thought about trying that once myself, but didn't, to be honest the way subs are are made now two ten inchers are more than enough to loosen anyone's fillings, as long as the enclosures are designed and built as solid as possible. built a system a couple of years ago for a sound off and used two phoenix gold xmaxes (ten inch) and we came second @140dB, pretty hectic sound. my point is a 15 inch sub looks impressive, but i recon tens pack just as much of a punch for less space.:smash:

Re: different sized subs

wazzy said:
interesting idea. thought about trying that once myself, but didn't, to be honest the way subs are are made now two ten inchers are more than enough to loosen anyone's fillings, as long as the enclosures are designed and built as solid as possible. built a system a couple of years ago for a sound off and used two phoenix gold xmaxes (ten inch) and we came second @140dB, pretty hectic sound. my point is a 15 inch sub looks impressive, but i recon tens pack just as much of a punch for less space.:smash:

I disagree, a pair of 10's have less cone area (SD) than a single 15". Mechanical Xmax is also a factor. But, in general a 15" single sub will play lower and louder because they move more air, which is what a sub is all about. I've had 2 alpine Type R 10's powered by a an Alpine digital 500 watt amp. It had a nice punch to it, but didn't play as low or nearly as loud as my single Orion HCCA 12" which hit 142Db's with the same power.

Alot of people say a smaller sub is "faster and more punchy" than a bigger sub. But I think it has alot to do with the installation. A sealed box with a High Q will have more mid bass punch than a ported enclosure. But the ported enclosure will play lower and will have a higher output as well.

It all depends on what you want out of your bass!

dude!142dB is some serious sound. I also agree that a 15 inch sub would produce more sound for the same power for obvious reasons, bigger cone area etc. like you said depends what bass you want. i made my suggestion based on my preferences. i tend to like a tight punchy bass that is relatively easy to live with as well as the smaller enclosures that come with having smaller subs, more space for the missus' shoping, essential to marital harmony! that sub of yours sounds like quite a beast!:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.