voltage rating of sulzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
44Vdc would be absolute maximum for the worst case conditions.
You must subtract all the variations to bring that back to a maximum working voltage. This could be 10% to 30% below absolute max. Then calculate the dissipations in each of the components for worst case for each.

Note that link shows a schematic, is that what you are using?
Note also that R4+R3 & R5+D1 form two sides of a Wheatsone measuring bridge. Do not contaminate that measuring bridge with other currents.

Hi,

I lift the old topic up to ask a couple of basic questions about the Sulzer regulator. I'm planning to use the Sulzer regulator in it's very basic form (Schematics ) to get out regulated voltages of about 3.3V and 5V.

The first question: what could be appropriate values for reference voltages for the desired output voltages? Could for example a 2,5V reference with appropriate voltage divider resistors be OK? The only values for precision voltage references at the local store are 2.5, 5.0 and 6.9 and it would make things easier if some of these would make it. If some rarer value between these would be better, I'll of course get the part somewhere else.

The second question is: what's the practical range for supply voltage of the regulator with the conditions mentioned above? Could ~7,5V be enough? I'll need also +5V and +12V supplies through cheap commercial regulators for some components of minor importance and a 2x6V transformer could give compatible voltages for both of these regulators. 2x7 or 2x8V transformers are much more difficult to find and with higher voltages the heat loss on the regulators gets higher than I would like. If necessary, I'll have to get a separate transformer for the Sulzer regulators.

TUBESMAN said:
I plan to use a Sulzer regulator in a project of mine and I am curious, what is the maximum input voltage you can pump into it? is it 2X the max rail voltage of a 5543, about 44V, or is it less?
1 The opamp can't be fed with more than 44 V.

2 The output of the opamp is 1 V more than the output voltage.

You can pump in more raw voltage if the desired output voltage is less than 40 V but then the oapmp must have stabilized voltage of max 44 V.

Which output voltage did you have in mind?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.