• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido Line Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

What S.S. amplifier do you use with your Aikido Line Stage?

I'm considering the Parasound Halo A21 and building the Aikido 6SN7 instead of the Parasound Halo P3 Preamp.

Is the Aikido a real high end performer or just something worth experimenting if you have the time and money?

thanks.

Dear Bengali,

What you mean by high end I do not know. I have some idea what many people mean when they say high end. To the best of my understanding Aikido circuit is far better than many high end LS.

Gain might be high for your SS amp, I assume Aikido cathod follower could be better suited.

I am from Bangladesh, where are you from.

Why are you going for 6SN7 what other tube you tried before.

Regards

Dear Minhaj,

I know 'high end audio' can be a subjective word. Generally, more expensive equipment with higher grade parts.

I'm in the U.S.

I've read on this forum 6SN7 is one of the better if not best tubes for the Aikido.

I do have the Aikido 9pin pcb. I have not finished it since I'm debating on if the money should go to prebuilt one. I guess finishing the Aikido would fulfill my curiosity on DIY projects.

Have you finished an Aikido line stage?

Thanks.

Johnny, when I was young my taste about music was different. This is all about taste. I have heard many vintage tube gear- most of them have a certain tint. Nowadays I prefer nuetral and transparent sounding gear more.

I am telling again, thia is more of a personal taste. I do not know much about the Marantz clone I know about the original, both Aikido and 7C are great sounding equipment in their own right.

Regards

I built the Aikido line amp with 12AU7 and 5687. It sound quite nice but I like my clone Marantz 7C better. I used the same separated tube regulated power supply for both of them.

You may like your Aikido better if you use something other than a 12AU7. Try a 6FQ7 or 6CG7 for the input tube and you will get a much better sounding line stage.

I don't know what Clone you are using but every clone or real 7C in my opinion sounds very colored and typically "tube" sounding. The Japaneese 7C version or so called clone isn't even close to the Marantz 7C.

Sound is a matter of taste and the Aikido for some takes a number of hours for them to get used to the neutral sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.