my carver hr-752

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi adventfan,
You really want to know?

Can you solder well? Here is what you do (before it blows the output stage).

Remove the bottom panel. Desolder all the parts connected to the heat sink. That should be outputs, drivers and bias transistors. Use a little solder flux (for electronics!) and clean the pads up with some solder wick. Clean the flux off the board when you are done this. Apply very little pressure on your iron tip so you do not damage the pads or traces. Allow the heat to do the work for you.

Inspect the component leads, you do not need to unmount them (I would prefer you didn't). Clean by scraping any oxidized leads, they should be bright, not dull.

Apply some more flux (a small amount) to the pads and leads. Resolder these connections without using too much solder. Your joint should look like a small shiny volcano with a lead sticking out.

Guess what's next? Yup, clean the excess flux off and look for solder shorts or cracked traces. Use a magnifying glass and you glasses if you use reading glasses. I do it this way.

If everything looks okay, you should be good to go. Do make sure you have a lead poking out of each connection, inspect through the top to make sure everything is in place. Take your time!!

Now, if you are not good at soldering, do not attempt this work. The person that does this must know what they are doing. I like these receivers. Nice sound and reliable once this problem is fixed. They were almost all like that. Did a TON of them under warranty.

-Chris

Thanks for the reply.I had in to the repair shop twice and he said he did a bunch of sodering on it but it still does it . he played it for several hour and said it played fine of course just like taking a car in for repair. but do u think he missed something? other than what he did? I think the same thing as it get worse as it get warm. also i cleaned the pots

Thanks for your insight i will take it back in and tell him to keep sodering.I hate to give up on this receiver when it does work the sound of it is top notch. I bought this a few months ago from e-bay and when i got it it was very dirty and smelled like a woodstove when i first turned it on so thats when i cleaned it up . anyways thanks again for your help:)

Hi chris just took it back to the shop. he is a everything tech.The first time he had it he cleaned and resodered the pre and out board and also did it the second time. he's going to play it for a while to see if he can hear it .So hopefully three time will be a charm.I really like this receiver but really don't want to put tons of money into it .Ill keep you posted on how i make out with it. Again thank you for your input.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi adventfan,
he is a everything tech.
Not good. He may be a nice guy, but avoid in the future.

I really like this receiver but really don't want to put tons of money into it
Well, it's a nice set. You have already spent enough time without it.

Please call him up and have him check the speaker relay as I mentioned. If you can copy that post and email him, so much the better. I'm pretty sure it's the relay now.

-Chris

I wish i kept it for another day i could have tried it myself.But i will call him and ask him to try it you think he would have checked that out.Ihave a old kenwood kr-4070 hooked up now but for some reason it doesn't as good as the carver. Ill keep you posted on the out come but i have this feeling he might have it a while.:bawling:

For me its common sense to go with one who specializes in something. However I don't agree with a blanket statement about an everything tech and avoiding but as a good rule in general yes. I know some VERY GOOD "everything" techs who know audio extremely well. It just so happens they can fix a TV and microwave also and I wouldn't hold it against them. These are the kind of techs who know that an NTE may be good for a horizontal output but not for your audio output if ya know what I mean ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bigred,
Yes, I understand your point. However, after hiring and firing technicians for well over 10 years I have been able to observe on thing.

Audio technicians are not good with VCRs and TVs, everyone can fix a microwave. TV technicians are a curious lot. They can be very good at VCRs and TVs plus microwaves. They are horrible with audio but think (really are very convinced) that they great at repairing audio. I have met a couple who are kind of okay with audio. I do mean a couple only.

I feel the reason for this could be a completely different mind set required for each. Car audio guys are normally on their own little planet as well.

I don't like broad generalizations, but years of observation lead me to believe a tech who is truly good at TVs and audio are extremely rare.

I am not a good TV tech, or a good VCR tech. I have no problem admitting that.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.