Karlson enclosure for Altec 416z

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in hearing if anyone out there with experience of Karlson enclosures thinks they could work with an Altec 416z woofer?
I want to instigate a project where I marry a altec 416z in a seperate cabinet to an Altec 604C,to make a two-cabinet full range(as low as the 416's capabilities,that is).
The two cabinet design would be operated via an active crossover.I'd be using a Yamaha B-2 v-fet amp on the top ,and a Kenwood basic M2 on the bottom.
The crossover points would be 350Hz and 1600Hz
Any suggestions?
Pointers?
Thanks to all who reply.

regular 416 would give ~ -8-9dB in my lopsided hard outdoors relative to 100Hz for K15 - my yard dops off about 7 feet behind the mic position

416 and 604 are good players overall in K15 and I'd probably prefer coax to horn on top although both could be good and horn on top would remove some "reverb"

you could re-tune K15 for subwoofer duty per Exemplar with two 3"ID right angle elbows and apply ~6dB boost around 28-30Hz and use an electronic xover

were you going to run 604 OB?

Freddyi,
I haven't a clue about Karlson enclosures.I was looking at some of their literature from the fifties on the 'net and I thought I'd have a search here.I saw a few of your posts on the subject and thought about how I don't have to go the BR(bass reflex)route at all.
Where would I find plans for the Karlson cab?
Are there better variations than K's original thoughts on the matter?
I'd not considered OB for the 604,but I promise I've got no fixed opinions on the subject.
Do you feel OB would be the way to go?
It makes sense,the 604 would be crossed over from the 461 at 350 Hz. The baffle cancellation effects would occur well below that.
I find the idea of K cab for the 416 and OB for the 604 an exciting prospect.I didn't envision anything like this,however I can see that it could be awesome!
Any links for K cab,and suggestions for dimensions(shapes?) for OB?
Thanks for your input Freddyi.I was just 2 days ago looking at that page of yours with all the different speakers you've tried,and I thought "If anyone has learnt by experiment,this guy has tried just about every variation."
Sorry,I've confused you with Magnetar.(I've only had 2 hours sleep)
I've got to go to work,I look forward to any suggestions you can give.
Thank you.

freddi said:
you could re-tune K15 for subwoofer duty per Exemplar with two 3"ID right angle elbows and apply ~6dB boost around 28-30Hz and use an electronic xover
I'd be interested in any more details you could supply of this variant. Do I tune the rear chamber as per standard porting etc? Where do the vents exit?
I have some EVM15L's that are begging to be used and I've wanted to build a K for ages. Would cross actively to my mid/top box around 200Hz.

you'd mount the 2-3" ducts on a piece of plywood then screw that board to K15's 3.5-4.5" wide x 8"H port - treat system with Q~2 boost at new fb of ~30Hz

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

604 are awfully good to restrict anywhere - there should be 604/OB users to comment.

I like 604 in K15 but you may not. For a small reflex, RCA-Fan's V-vent box should work

for K15 plans look here

http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/K15.PNG

Freddyi,
Thank you for the Karlson plans.
I've long enjoyed reading your contributions on AA,and it's been a pleasure extending my knowledge-base,and getting further ideas for my project.
The thought of OBing the 604 had never occurred to me.
I going to do some more reading on the subject.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.