want to build: F2 car amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Eric

further to your email question: You didnt mention you wanted an amp for the car, the question seemed to relate to hifi, to which the answer was/is most definately F2......

However, for the car I would recommend the tripath as all the more expensive benefits of the F2 may be wasted in the car's sonic environment...also you won't be needing all the extravagant heat sinking which will take up space.....and you wont have to keep the engine running while you're parked up listening to the music.

just a few thoughts

Ed

simple is best!! and in this case much much cheaper.

Hi,

I am enjoying a regular tube amp at home. For car use, I did find full-range, single drivers I can use. It is a DC Gold Signature 9.5s. Their speaker is kind of different though. It doesn't use spider coils. Instead DC Gold uses ferrofluids to cool the coils. With a tube amp, it only needed a watt or 2 to play really loud music inside the car. There are no passive correction electronics at the back of the speaker.

The F2 is a good match. The amp is already hitting its sweet spot in the first four watts. Cooling is indeed a problem. So maybe liquid cooling will help ? Bazooka went that route of cooling for some of their amps. Regarding battery time, there are some deep cycle car audio batteries I can get with extended watt-hours to replace standard batteries. It is true though, 12v tripath is simple. Grab a Charlize with a voltage regulator and you're done.

Eric

The boards for the car amp project are built. Here are some pics. More to follow.

Attachments

• f2-mobile.jpg
    f2-mobile.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 249
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.