distortion in silonex limiter with nsl32sr3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
davide86 said:
no, the distortion occurs only when the limiter is limiting (the led light on)

You will naturally see distortion when it's limiting, because that's
the basic function of the limiter. As per the Silonex application
notes, you can vary this effect by adjusting the attack and
decay time constants, and of course the threshold and amount
of limiting, all of which are adjustable.

:cool:

davide86 said:
hi,
I have build the limiter http://www1.silonex.com/audiohm/limiter.html

instead of the BSN10 I have used a 2n7000 mosfet.

the distortion is very high and audible especially with subwoofer signal input (100hz low pass filter).

someone can help me to reduce the distortion?

thanks to all

Try reducing R7 to 1k or 220ohms and see if you get a reduction in distortion. This resistor allows some unfiltered rectified audio to control the LDR to create increased attack/release time for quick transients. In a subwoofer limiter application, this would be undesireable, as this would allow tracking of the low frequency waveform, creating distortion.

In fact, you may want to go as far as removing shorting R7, so one end of C1 sits at ground potential. This will still give you a fast release time for a bass limiter (about 150ms). You could then try increasing the value of C1 in small increments up to 2uF. If you use a polarized cap (electrolytic) make sure (-) is at ground.

You may also try experimenting with shorting C2 and see how that sounds. Also, reducing the value of R11 and see how that sounds. This would adjust the gain reduction ratio of the limiter. With C2 and R11 installed, it looks like it would be a very high ratio limiter, with peaks having a lower ratio (due to the filtering action of C2/R11 in the feedback loop.

Hope this helps.

the most important reduction of distortion is to place a capacitor bethween anode of D4 and chatode of D1. for the bass frequency I place 1uF and for mid-hi freq 100nF.

i have shorted C2 and substitute R11 with 100k to reduce ratio and R10 with 2k2 resistor to increase the attack time and to soften the sound.

Hi all,

I am digging this old thread as i am building a limiter based on Silonex's design and I just can't figure out what is the purpose of DZ1 and D4...
It is said on Silonex's webpage that : The resulting output voltage is then compared with a threshold reference by IC1B, the output of which normally sits at approximately 3.3V lower.
I guess that the 3.3V difference is set by DZ1 and D4 but why should that be usefull ? If the threshold is set to 5V or more than Q2 would always be on, right ? What am I missing here ?

Thanks to all !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.