changing the value of capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
msm677 said:
is it ok to change the capacitor of my jvc amplifier from 35v 1000uf to 35 3300uf? whats the effect?

Depends where it is. Assuming it's the one at the output of the power supply section it probably wouldn't hurt anything to replace it with a bigger cap. The effect will be reduced power supply ripple. It depends on the amplifier design, but you probably won't hear any difference.

If you're thinking of replacing it with a different one because the current one is bad, and the 3300 is what you've got on hand, I'd probably go for it.

If you're looking for a tweak to improve your sound, I'd probably look elsewhere.

-Nick

Re: Re: changing the value of capacitor

Arx said:

Depends where it is. Assuming it's the one at the output of the power supply section it probably wouldn't hurt anything to replace it with a bigger cap. The effect will be reduced power supply ripple. It depends on the amplifier design, but you probably won't hear any difference.

If you're thinking of replacing it with a different one because the current one is bad, and the 3300 is what you've got on hand, I'd probably go for it.

If you're looking for a tweak to improve your sound, I'd probably look elsewhere.

-Nick

I think its the power supply cause they're the biggest capacitor in my amp.

if i'm going to improve the the sound, where will I look and what will I change? the capacitor for the transistors?, transistors?, resistors?, please help me.

Increasing the size of the Power Supply caps might help increase transient response. When the amp has a huge power demand placed on it, sometimes the power supply can't keep up and the available voltage drops. With bigger Caps, for very short term power demands, this might help keep the voltage up longer.

Unless the Amp is somehow broken, I can't think of anything the average user can do to to the internal components to improve it.

Steve/BlueWizard

BlueWizard said:
Increasing the size of the Power Supply caps might help increase transient response. When the amp has a huge power demand placed on it, sometimes the power supply can't keep up and the available voltage drops. With bigger Caps, for very short term power demands, this might help keep the voltage up longer.

Unless the Amp is somehow broken, I can't think of anything the average user can do to to the internal components to improve it.

Steve/BlueWizard

the amp is good, I just want to know if I can improve the sound or increase its wattage (if possible)

msm677 said:

the amp is good, I just want to know if I can improve the sound or increase its wattage (if possible)

Nope...

Bigger caps may give you slightly less output ripple under maximum load.

I don't think anyone would really hear a difference.

It won't increase the wattage, and any improvement in the sound will probably be insignificant.

To increase the wattage, you probably need to modify the power supply for a higher voltage, which would likely require changing many other parts. It may be cheaper to buy a bigger amp.

-Nick

Hi,

You may well hear slightly tighter bass and find that the amp will handle very slightly higher levels before showing compression, (especially with bass heavy music).
Your speakers may give out before you have a chance to find this out. ;)

These kind of mods can, in some cases, have a negative effect on the upper frequencies. The difference between 1000uF and 3300uF in this situation is not massive so, as mentioned before, you may not actually notice the difference.

Regards,
Martin. :)

Sonusthree said:
Hi,

You may well hear slightly tighter bass and find that the amp will handle very slightly higher levels before showing compression, (especially with bass heavy music).

Your speakers may give out before you have a chance to find this out. ;)

These kind of mods can, in some cases, have a negative effect on the upper frequencies. The difference between 1000uF and 3300uF in this situation is not massive so, as mentioned before, you may not actually notice the difference.

Regards,
Martin. :)

The cap is just there to keep the power steady between pulses from the power supply.
Assuming the amplifier a reasonable PSRR you shouldn't really hear any difference, as long as the capacitor's voltage stays above what the amplifier needs to produce the instantaneous voltage it's trying to. If the capacitor isn't big enough, its voltage may be drained by the amplifier enough that it will not be able to produce that voltage, until the next current pulse from the supply recharges it. What you'll end up with is a form of clipping which tracks the power supply ripple. Assuming the cap is even vaguely reasonable, the only difference a bigger one will make is letting your clipping track a slightly less jaggy sawtooth.

As far as the effect on upper frequencies goes, I've never had anyone demonstrate any difference, or even give me a sound theory how it could be different.

The only reason I could think of is that the current pulses from the supply will become shorter in duration and higher in magnitude. Maybe the higher frequencies on this could leak into the amp? Any thoughts?

But regardless. I wouldn't waste my time without at least measuring the supply ripple to see if it's even significant under heavy load.

-Nick

Arx said:

The cap is just there to keep the power steady between pulses from the power supply.
Assuming the amplifier a reasonable PSRR you shouldn't really hear any difference, as long as the capacitor's voltage stays above what the amplifier needs to produce the instantaneous voltage it's trying to. If the capacitor isn't big enough, its voltage may be drained by the amplifier enough that it will not be able to produce that voltage, until the next current pulse from the supply recharges it. What you'll end up with is a form of clipping which tracks the power supply ripple. Assuming the cap is even vaguely reasonable, the only difference a bigger one will make is letting your clipping track a slightly less jaggy sawtooth.

As far as the effect on upper frequencies goes, I've never had anyone demonstrate any difference, or even give me a sound theory how it could be different.

The only reason I could think of is that the current pulses from the supply will become shorter in duration and higher in magnitude. Maybe the higher frequencies on this could leak into the amp? Any thoughts?

But regardless. I wouldn't waste my time without at least measuring the supply ripple to see if it's even significant under heavy load.

-Nick

how do i measure the supply ripple?

Changing 1000 uf 35V to 3300 uf 35V will have negligible effect on the performance of your car amplifier. As a part replacement, The higher capacitor rating will work fine.

Setting up a 1 farad capacitor at the power supply section will result in an audible difference. Tighter bass but a roll off on the higher frequencies might result.

Setting up test instruments to measure supply ripple is costly and a waste of time since the result will be insignificant to the performance of the car amp.

Check Cabling, This might improve the sonic performance of your car audio system by using a good sounding quality cables.

Tweaking the circuitry of the car amp and changing some parts will yield both positive and negative results but this voids the warranty and a costly endeavor outweighing the resulting sonic performance of the car amp.

john said:
Changing 1000 uf 35V to 3300 uf 35V will have negligible effect on the performance of your car amplifier. As a part replacement, The higher capacitor rating will work fine.

Setting up a 1 farad capacitor at the power supply section will result in an audible difference. Tighter bass but a roll off on the higher frequencies might result.

Could you explain why you think this could affect the treble response?

Electrolytic capacitors have series inductance. This resonates with the capacitance. The resonance is sometimes underdamped and is sometimes within the audio band. Larger capacitors can be worse than smaller ones (obviously this is a generalisation).

If this wasn't so, it would probably be only a good thing to increase the capacitance from 1000uF to 3300uF, provided the circuit would not be overstressed in any way.

cliff said:
Non of that is relevant to a PSU reservoir cap!
An amplifier stage is in series with it's supply capacitor for AC. The source impedance will be different across the spectrum.

You may have been referring to the 1F cap before a switch mode supply, I'm not sure but you weren't specific.

And what do you mean by "overstressed"?
Just thinking of inrush currents and so forth.

jnb said:

An amplifier stage is in series with it's supply capacitor for AC. The source impedance will be different across the spectrum.

You may have been referring to the 1F cap before a switch mode supply, I'm not sure but you weren't specific.

Just thinking of inrush currents and so forth.

It sounds to me like you have just completed "Audio Amps 101" :)

Do you really think (THINK about it) that doubling supply capacitance lowers treble response? Silly nonsense. So you get the "best" treble response with NO capacitance?

There are many other parallel paths that give low HF impedance paths.

Car batteries supply lots of inrush current, worst case is that the fuse will need uprating.

cliff said:

Car batteries supply lots of inrush current, worst case is that the fuse will need uprating.

What capacitor are we talking about.

If it's between the SMPS and the amplifier itself, worst case is that the switching power supply isn't designed with a big capacitor in mind and blows its choppers.

It's very unlikely when only tripling the size, but if it's designed badly it can happen.

If it's an input filter cap or something, go nuts, but you could just as easily buy one of those big 1F caps and hook it up at the power before it goes into the amp.

I don't think that will improve much either on an amp that isn't ridiculously large.
-Nick

cliff said:
There are many other parallel paths that give low HF impedance paths.
Such as?
It sounds to me like you have just completed "Audio Amps 101" :)

Do you really think (THINK about it) that doubling supply capacitance lowers treble response? Silly nonsense. So you get the "best" treble response with NO capacitance?
Thanks for your comments.

cliff, are you disputing the existence of ESL or something else WRT it?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1189663#post1189663

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.