Which enclosure for Altec 409-8B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm very new to diy loudspeakers and am interested to know if anyone has an idea of which enclosure will suit an Altec 409-8B. The Qts is 1.54, Fs is 91Hz and Vas is 0.61, the speaker was originally designed as a ceiling speaker. OB is not an option because of the lack of WAF. Many thanks!

I would have suggested an OB, probably, but since that's not an option, how about an aperiodic? That high Qts is going to be a killer and your first concern will probably be trying to tame it. You may have to install a damping pad over the back of the driver. I assume that if the WAF doesn't allow for open baffles then a huge 6 cubic foot infinite baffle cabinet would be out of the question too.

Best, Wade

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Hmm, these specs are what's listed for the 409-8D, so don't know how accurate this will be, but a ~aperiodic TL is pretty forgiving, so worth a try since it's simple/cheap enough to get a near IB response in a relatively small footprint:

L = 53.183"
W x D = 131.28"^2

All dims i.d.. For WAF, place the vent on the bottom rear, which will have the same 131.28"^2 area. Driver at extreme top and add stuffing until it sounds right to you. Since the driver is going to be up around 49" off the floor depending on how thick a material you use, you may need to make a wedge mounting plate to angle the driver down if you sit fairly close. It's Qts is high enough that a lossy material can be used, so no high $$ plywood/whatever required.

Sim assumes a 1 lb/ft^3 stuffing density using polyfil, so the same amount of acoustic fiberglass insulation will damp out the rest of the ripple.

GM

Attachments

• altec 409-8d max flat impedance tl.gif
    altec 409-8d max flat impedance tl.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 485
Wooops! I'm sure she would! There was an error in the math. It shouldn't be that large. I think he meant 135 cm tall with a base foot print of 29.1 by 29.1 cm (847 square cm). If that's not what he meant then GM may to have to elaborate a bit to help my density.

Best, Wade

GM

Joined 2003
tubewade said:
I think he meant 135 cm tall with a base foot print of 29.1 by 29.1 cm (847 square cm).

No, you got it right, just add the material thickness to all sides. It's just a relatively tall column that can be square, rectangular, whatever since it will be stuffed enough that its shape won't be an issue. Indeed, it's aspect ratio is such that it will need to have wide 'outrigger' mounting legs to make it stable against being accidentally tipped over.

GM said:

No, you got it right, just add the material thickness to all sides. It's just a relatively tall column that can be square, rectangular, whatever since it will be stuffed enough that its shape won't be an issue. Indeed, it's aspect ratio is such that it will need to have wide 'outrigger' mounting legs to make it stable against being accidentally tipped over.

Hi GM, I'm a bit confused here, does that mean the enclosure will look like a 3-sided u-shaped 'trough' standing on the long end? Thanks.

tubewade said:
Wooops! I'm sure she would! There was an error in the math. It shouldn't be that large. I think he meant 135 cm tall with a base foot print of 29.1 by 29.1 cm (847 square cm). If that's not what he meant then GM may to have to elaborate a bit to help my density.

Best, Wade

Thanks for the clarification, Wade. I must have made a silly mistake when using an online conversion tool. :dead: But I can't figure out the conversion to get 29.1 by 29.1cm for the W & D.

edlye said:

Thanks for the clarification, Wade. I must have made a silly mistake when using an online conversion tool. :dead: But I can't figure out the conversion to get 29.1 by 29.1cm for the W & D.

You're welcome. There are 2.54 cm in one inch. This is where I got 135 cm tall. The footprint would be 847 square cm. The 29.1 cm by 29.1 cm is simply the square root of 847. In actuality, the ratio can be whatever you like that results in an 847 square cm footprint. This is not really a very large enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.