Best value T Amp in UK ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The inside.

Attachments

• kensington2.jpg
    kensington2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,409
Puffin said:
Audio1st. I assume that when you open the thing up that it is obvious where the speaker connections should go ?

I am interested to hear if it sounds any good with a normal system. Is it tweakable ? (lots of SMD's !)

The other side is even worse for SMD's, (push button volume control)!.
But the basic Amp part looks very tidy..
As is, the input Cap value is 0.68uf. Bridge the 1uf will sort that out.
obviously to get the best out of it you would have to use your own volume control and come in at the 2.2uf cap.
the chip is the 2024..

Attachments

• kensington4.jpg
    kensington4.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,200
Have added the speaker terminals and wow! There seems to be loads of bass now so disregard the last entry about bridging the 1uf caps. The signal seems to go through the chip between the 1uf cap and the 2.2uf cap so the 1uf cap needs to be there....!
I have just unplugged the original speakers and may fit a switch so they can be used when needed.
I shall listen for a while to see how it sounds.. better than £20 plus speaker terminals though!

Attachments

• kensington5.jpg
    kensington5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,025
Puffin said:
How does it compare to a modded S.I amp ?

I've had a bit of a listen and seems that the preamp section is having an effect on the sound. The bass is boosted at about 120Hz (I would guess) and treble is a bit shut in.
When the amp is used with a separate preamp and connected at the 2.2uf caps it sounds very similar to the S,I amp. it is not as loud because of the input and feedback resistors give it different gain.
I attached 47k resistors in parallel with the 33k input resistors to give about 20k input and 20k feedback, but still not as loud.
I also don't know if the output coils are big enough to handle full size speakers, they look smaller than the S.I amp coils (I can't measure the inductance or wire gauge) . They've been alright so far (not melted).
Barry...

Just aquired two of these for a play:D.... stereo mono's should be interesting. I have enough leftovers from previous exploits to completely modify these anyway

Hell... @ 20 quid it makes the SI look positively expensive... speakers and SMPS throw in ...:eek:

Might get a few more for birthday and Christmas pressies at that price as well:att'n:

Nice find Barry.

I have just re-boxed my Kensington. I initially used the input connections under the 3.5mm jack socket and ran wires to the phono sockets. Fired it up, it worked but sounded s*ite. Then I coonected to the 2.2 caps. Thats more like it. The amp is running in at the moment before I hook it up to my main system.

Audio1st. Can you give detaisl of the mod to the feedback resistors you did. What type of resistors did you use, 0.6w metal film or SMD's ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.