DIY ESL III (based on an ER Audio Kit)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought I'd share my recent ESL build with you guys. Since its a kit, most of the hard work of testing and measurement has already been done for me. But if you ever wondered what goes into building the most accurate, dynamic and holographic speakers, the please visit My DIY ESL III page .

In case the message was not clear... these speakers are the great.

I will welcome any comments.

Jason

Very nicely built esl3, I built one of these several years ago, I felt the same way you did, they are very fast and very detail, also very directional, eventually I burnt a hole in one of the diaphram from playing to loud, they do sound a bit lean, I end up using some equalization and a subwoofer, haven't use mine in the last 18 month, I have move on to high efficiency open baffel speakers with set amps.

shooter said:
Very nicely built esl3, I built one of these several years ago, I felt the same way you did, they are very fast and very detail, also very directional, eventually I burnt a hole in one of the diaphram from playing to loud, they do sound a bit lean, I end up using some equalization and a subwoofer, haven't use mine in the last 18 month, I have move on to high efficiency open baffel speakers with set amps.

Thanks for the compliment.

Its a shame that you do not listen to it any more. Could the lean sound and directionality be due to placement. I guess if it was you would have tried all possible placements. If you no longer want the speakers, would you consider donating them to me? I'll pay for shipping, serious. :)

As for absolute low bass, I DIYed the Rythmik Audio Servo sub. Integration between the ESLs and the sub is easy.

On a side note, I am also building a pair of BLH based on Ron's Dallas III for the Fostex 206. Its destined to be used in my bedroom with a 3 watt SET. Heres a picture of my progress on that front.

Attachments

• img_20070616_05394_resize.jpg
    img_20070616_05394_resize.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,171
Congrats Jason, looks like a good build.

I was totally beguiled by the sound when I did the HiFi World review some years back. I still occasionally listen to mine but I'm also into the efficient FR and SET sound so I don't listen to the stats exclusively.

Incidently, I have been a bit disappointed by the replacement acorns..or was.. until I heard them driven by a GM70 SET amp a few weeks back...glorious!!

Regards

Ed

ps check out the web site for a blow by blow account of the ESL3 build

Jason, I have not totally give up on the esl3 yet, I just have no time to repair the diaphram right now. BTW nice looking BLH, I am using Dick Olsher's diamond edition Basszilla, with Lowther DX4, ribbon tweeter and 15" woofer, with speed and detail like electrostatics, I am currently using a 5 watt amp with them.
Ed, Interesting you mention using GM70 set, I have use an 45w Antique Sound Lab 805 set to drive the esl3 with great result, but my 120w push pull tube amp has difficulty driving them, when playing very high volume the high frequency totally disappear, eventually it arced and burnt a small hole in it, I am not saying these speakers are fragile, my room was way too big for them or most home speakers for that matter, it was my fault to push them so hard.

vitalstates said:
Congrats Jason, looks like a good build.

I was totally beguiled by the sound when I did the HiFi World review some years back. I still occasionally listen to mine but I'm also into the efficient FR and SET sound so I don't listen to the stats exclusively.

Incidently, I have been a bit disappointed by the replacement acorns..or was.. until I heard them driven by a GM70 SET amp a few weeks back...glorious!!

Regards

Thank you for the compliment. Glad that the acorns worked out for you ....... but on GM70!!! Woah, thats way out of reach, well for me anyway.

shooter said:
Jason, I have not totally give up on the esl3 yet, I just have no time to repair the diaphram right now. BTW nice looking BLH, I am using Dick Olsher's diamond edition Basszilla, with Lowther DX4, ribbon tweeter and 15" woofer, with speed and detail like electrostatics, I am currently using a 5 watt amp with them.

I have not had a chance to liste to many OB type speakers, but I have read many good things about basszilla. How was the build process? I may try one if I ever get tired of the Dallas III blh.

Thanks for the compliment.

Its a shame that you do not listen to it any more. Could the lean sound and directionality be due to placement. I guess if it was you would have tried all possible placements. If you no longer want the speakers, would you consider donating them to me? I'll pay for shipping, serious. :)

As for absolute low bass, I DIYed the Rythmik Audio Servo sub. Integration between the ESLs and the sub is easy.

On a side note, I am also building a pair of BLH based on Ron's Dallas III for the Fostex 206. Its destined to be used in my bedroom with a 3 watt SET. Heres a picture of my progress on that front.

Cool looking.
I haven't made many back horn speakers, but found the more square the inside turns are, the more midrange gets filtered out, if your intention is just reinforcing the bass.

In tapered transmission lines, I found a 2 1/2 times as large cross sectional section just before the exit, seems to smooth it's output, sort of like a plumbing surge tank, I guess.

Cool looking.
I haven't made many back horn speakers, but found the more square the inside turns are, the more midrange gets filtered out, if your intention is just reinforcing the bass.

In tapered transmission lines, I found a 2 1/2 times as large cross sectional section just before the exit, seems to smooth it's output, sort of like a plumbing surge tank, I guess.
Hi MITsound,
Just out of curiosity, with the T-line, do you place the driver at the beginning of the line? Or do you use the general advice of Martin J King, and place it 1/4 to 1/3 down the line to break up the strong resonances?
I know this question is a little OT, but I'm really interested in how you approach this..
Thanks...

Hi MITsound,
Just out of curiosity, with the T-line, do you place the driver at the beginning of the line? Or do you use the general advice of Martin J King, and place it 1/4 to 1/3 down the line to break up the strong resonances?
I know this question is a little OT, but I'm really interested in how you approach this..
Thanks...
Sorry for the late reply.
About 38%, only because I try to incorporate phi into my builds.
Phi is good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.