• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sizing PP OPT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been asking around on how to size push pull OPT and am getting various answers:

1. Size it plate-to-plage
2. Add the current through both tubes and add 20%.
3. One suggests to use the power listed for a PP configuration of the tube, and get a PP OPT that can handle the power.

In the Philippines, ready-made OPTs (Hammonds, Tamura, James, etc) are hard to get, so most of us are forced to have them custom wound, and when having it wound, I need to give the winder the specs.

Thanks.

There have been books (many) written on just this topic. Basically, you need to specify plate to plate impedance, power, and bandwidth. The last two will determine the size, the first will determine turns ratio.

As an example: Want full power at 10Hz? Prepare for a hunk of iron the size of a refrigerator. Willing to live with 20Hz? You've dropped the size by a factor of four and probably reduced the leakage inductance.

If you have to tell the winder how to size the core once you've given him the outline of what you want the transformer to do, that's a good indication that you're dealing with the wrong guy.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Dsavitsk, that link discusses SE transformers, which are subject to core magnetization because of the net DC in the primary. With PP, that is not the case.

What is meant here, if I understand the question correctly, is what primary current should be specified so that the gauge of wire used will be sufficient. If 40mA is the quiescent current per OP tube, then that will also apply to each half of the primary winding. However, it's not as simple as that, because it also depends upon the class of operation of the OP tubes.

If the amp is Class AB or B, the current at full signal can be several times as great as the current with no signal. The primary winding needs to be able to cope with the maximum possible current. For example, EL34s in Class AB1 could be biased to draw 30mA per tube at zero signal but may well draw 100mA per tube or more at full signal. In such a case, it would be sensible to design the primary to tolerate at least 120mA (or even 150mA) in each half, to avoid the danger of overheating if the amp is run at full power. You don't want the OPT primary to be the weakest link in the chain - it's not a fuse!

ray_moth said:

If the amp is Class AB or B, the current at full signal can be several times as great as the current with no signal. The primary winding needs to be able to cope with the maximum possible current. For example, EL34s in Class AB1 could be biased to draw 30mA per tube at zero signal but may well draw 100mA per tube or more at full signal. In such a case, it would be sensible to design the primary to tolerate at least 120mA (or even 150mA) in each half, to avoid the danger of overheating if the amp is run at full power. You don't want the OPT primary to be the weakest link in the chain - it's not a fuse!

IMHO, the best approach is to compute the DC resistance of the primary winding.
So you can find how much power it will dissipate according to the mean AC and DC current flowing thru it.

Much better that any rule of thumb based on "acceptable" current density, I think !

Yves.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I never mentioned current density. Alex wants to be able to instruct his transformer maker about the primary current that should be allowed for. Probably the easiest way to find that out will be to look up the max. plate current in tube data sheets for the type of tube, class of operation, load impedance, B+, etc. that he has in mind.

Hi ray_moth,

No, YOU didn't !

But guess what the winder will do ?
He should be informed about DC and AC currents to take its decision about wire gauge according to the way the heat is extracted from the windings.
It could be quite different if the design uses bells or if potted in some more or less temperature conductive material.

Not to tell about ambient temperature, probably much different in Manilla than here :bigeyes:

Yves.

I've wound 5 output transformers for guitar amps and I guess the same applies to all OPT's, I use a figure of 3 amps/square mm for the current loading of both the primary and secondary. For the valve anode current I take the max anode current given in the valve data book and add a 25% margin for safety. So for an EL84 this works out at about 75mA, using the 3 amps/square mm figure, wire size is about 0 .18mm for the primary and up to 1mm diam for secondary depending on the secondary impedance. I don't have any 0.18mm wire so I use 0.2mm wire which I have plenty of. For guitar amps I don't use elaborate interleave just a simple P-S-P-S. I always test with a sine wave and run at full power for at least 2 hours, sometimes the anodes start to glow a dull red after an hour or so like this ( you can see it in the dark) but I have never had a transformer failure. They get warm but never so hot than you can't hold your hand on it. I size the core (which is a reclaimed power tranny core) to give me a 75%-80% fill of the winding window. When I wound my first OPT for a PP 6V6 amp I only had 0.16mm wire that I had pulled from an old telephone relay so I used that. The amp is still going after 2.5 yrs and being used weekly in a recording studio, although it almost never gets used at full power. Initially I was concerned about the wire size so I ran some tests on the current carrying capacity of enameled wire. I soldered about 5 cm of 0.16mm wire ( at 3 amps/square mm it will carry 60mA) to some leads and then wrapped the wire around a digital thermometer thermocouple, I slid this into an empty matchbox and then wrapped an old rag around it for insulation. Using a variable power supply I ran 60mA through the wire and after 2 hours temp had gone up only 0.5 deg C, I increased current to 100mA and after 2 hours temp had gone up only 2deg C. 3 amps/square mm is a safe figure to use I can't speak for anybody else but it works for me. I have unwound 2 failed OPT's and it looked to me that the failures in both cases were caused by arcing, in one instance between the laminations a primary wire an in the other instance between primary wires placed too close together.

Alexg,

Yipes! You really have a difficult task if your winder has never done this before. When we talk about an output transformer, not only basic transformer principles apply, but if this is for a hi-fi amplifier you also have leakage reactance and interwinding capacitance and distortion to consider. You will require several secondary sections interleaving with the primary, and you may possibly also be talking about a distributed load design.

The following information is needed:

1. Maximum output power

2. Which tubes, and will the operation be class A or class AB?

3. Used as triodes, pentodes or ultra linear?

4. What loudspeaker impedance will be used?

5. In what amplifier design? This is needed to have a guesstimate at the leakage reactance required and general stability considerations.

As said by others, there is design data available, but even using that could be a daunting task if you or your winder have never done this before.

If you can supply the above information, I can perform a design for you, but I need to state at an early stage that, as SY said, your winder will need to be able to perform the task.

If this is an option for you, I would be glad to help.

Regards

Johan Potgieter said:
Alexg,

Yipes! You really have a difficult task if your winder has never done this before. When we talk about an output transformer, not only basic transformer principles apply, but if this is for a hi-fi amplifier you also have leakage reactance and interwinding capacitance and distortion to consider. You will require several secondary sections interleaving with the primary, and you may possibly also be talking about a distributed load design.

The following information is needed:

1. Maximum output power

2. Which tubes, and will the operation be class A or class AB?

3. Used as triodes, pentodes or ultra linear?

4. What loudspeaker impedance will be used?

5. In what amplifier design? This is needed to have a guesstimate at the leakage reactance required and general stability considerations.

As said by others, there is design data available, but even using that could be a daunting task if you or your winder have never done this before.

If you can supply the above information, I can perform a design for you, but I need to state at an early stage that, as SY said, your winder will need to be able to perform the task.

If this is an option for you, I would be glad to help.

Regards

The tube that I will be using is the 832A and the circuit is based on this: http://ultranalog.com/

1. Maximum Output Power: 12 watts

2. 832A, I think it is Class AB

3. Used as Triode

4. Speaker impedance of 4 and 8.

The OPT winder already did a PP OPT for this tube, but the tubes were biased lower than the ultranalog design (33ma vs 40ma), he used EI76 with a 38mm stack height.

When I downloaded dissidentaudio.com OPT design assistant software, the software is telling me that EI76 is too small for the spec and frequency response that I wanted, it was telling me to use EI96.

I posted the question since the price difference between the two cores are quite substantial and if I can get away with an EI76 why would I pay for an EI96 OPT? BTW, the winder is telling me that EI76 with 2x0.11mm wire for primary winding would work.

Thanks.

retailer said:
For the valve anode current I take the max anode current given in the valve data book and add a 25% margin for safety. So for an EL84 this works out at about 75mA, using the 3 amps/square mm figure, wire size is about 0 .18mm for the primary and up to 1mm diam for secondary depending on the secondary impedance.

So for a push pull amp, should i make it 2X75ma for an EL84 PP amp? or just size it at 75ma?

Thanks.

alexg said:

. . .
When I downloaded dissidentaudio.com OPT design assistant software, the software is telling me that EI76 is too small for the spec and frequency response that I wanted, it was telling me to use EI96.

I posted the question since the price difference between the two cores are quite substantial and if I can get away with an EI76 why would I pay for an EI96 OPT? BTW, the winder is telling me that EI76 with 2x0.11mm wire for primary winding would work.

Thanks.

Oh !
Be aware about differences between "European" and "US Standards" references for iron laminations.
For exemple, EI96 refers to lams having a 96mm lenght "I" part.
In doubt, check for the core area and total iron weight.

Yves.

Yvesm said:

Oh !
Be aware about differences between "European" and "US Standards" references for iron laminations.
For exemple, EI96 refers to lams having a 96mm lenght "I" part.
In doubt, check for the core area and total iron weight.

Yves.

Ok thanks.

The winder, I and the software are using the European standard when referencing core size.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.