Computer Question-Any Problems Transferring Office 97 From D Drive to C Drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I have an old Pentium 200 Hz, 32 Meg RAM, 20 Gig HD, Windows 97SE, Microsoft Office 95

Have come into possession of old 1 Gig Hard Drive, Windows 95, with Office 97. Plan to install this as D drive temporarily.

Am interested in transferring Office 97 from the temporary D hard drive to the C hard drive. Then remove the D hard drive and keep it for safekeeping, since I have no Office 97 disk. I want to keep the hard drive as a disk in case I have to reformat the C hard drive.

Actually, I am only interested in Excel 97, but figured I might as well transfer the rest of Office 97 onto my C drive along with it.

Can anyone foresee any reason I just cannot copy Office 97 from my temporary D hard drive to my C hard drive? Are there any complications with this?

The audio angle in this, (not that it is necessary in the Everything Else forum, but there is an audio angle), is that there are several useful Excel based programs on the FRD Consortium page that do not work with Excel 95. They might not work with Excel 97 either, but I since the HD with Office 97 was given to me by a customer, I figured I would take a shot with Excel 97.

FRD Consortium page with many useful programs is located at:
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

You are probably out of luck. Most Windows programs, Office included, store settings in the Windows registry and install files to the Windows system directory that you will not be able to transfer from the old harddrive to the new. The only way to get these files installed and registered in the proper location is to use the installation program.

Rory

Joined 2001
Thank you both for your swift replies.

Well, it wouldn't be any problem for me to run it from the D drive. The only hassle about that is that if something happens to the D drive, then my Office 97 goes with it. That is why I would like to have the D hard drive out of the computer and in storage for those occasions. If Office 97 runs those FRD Consortium programs, then if I lose Excel 97, I lose my ability to run those programs as well. :irked: :irked:

I'll follow Skinny Boy's advice-try to copy from the D hard drive and transfer any files it asks for. If it doesn't work, at least I have it on my D drive.

Question # 2.
Would it be a good idea to replace the Windows 95 on the D drive with Windows 98SE? I have the Windows 98SE CD. Would that make transferring files easier?

Question # 3.
I have another 1 gig hard drive. If I cannot transfer Office 97 to the C drive, can I wipe the second 1 Gig HD clean and then copy all of the D drive, (the one with Office 97), onto the second 1 Gig Hard Drive?

I believe SkinnyBoy is speaking outside his area of expertise. MS Office depends on a ton of data in the registry along with a number of COM components that need to be properly registered with the operating system.

Neither trying to run the program from the D drive nor copying files from one drive to another are going to get around these issues.

There is a freely available Excel viewer that you can download from MS, but you probably need more than the viewer for the spreadsheets you are interested in.

Another option may be to try OpenOffice.org. It is available for free and claims to be compatible with MS Office formats.

Rory

Joined 2001
Okay, so I won't get it on the the C drive. So I will run it on the D drive.

That leaves 2 questions.

A) Would it be better if get rid of Windows 95 on the D drive, (the one with Office 97), and install Windows 98SE instead? Or should I leave Windows 95 on the D drive and Windows 98SE on the C drive?

B) Can I take my third 1 Gig HD, reformat it , then simply copy the whole entire D drive, (the one with the Office 97) onto the clean, new I Gig Hard Drive? If I can do this, then I can have a spare copy of Office 95.

Thank you both for all your help so far.

Joined 2001
Skinny Boy:

I will certainly try running it from D drive and give you a report. I do not anticipate problems from doing that, but I will let you know how it goes. It is the actual moving of the application to another disk where I anticipated problems.

Mr. Feedback: Thank you for the tip. I had to download Mover98 from a German language site, (the English language listings all pointed to Netscape which apparently no longer carries it), but no matter. I shall unzip Mover98 in the next day or two and report to the forum how things went. This utility could be just what I need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.