8 channel sound art installation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to design an 8 channel audio setup for a sound art installation, but I'm having a bit of trouble juggling all the variables. I have some unusual requirements. The basic setup will be eight speakers arranged in a circle with a 10ft radius. I'll be building the speakers to spec as well.

I'm considering just using a bunch of LM386s, but that's mostly because I'm completely ignorant.

Here's my requirements:
  1. 12V DC power supply
  2. Low power consumption - it's running off a car battery (possibly with solar trickle charge)
  3. Decent enough sound quality to reproduce synthesized human speech - it sounds crappy already, so it doesn't need to be audiophile
  4. 60dB at 8ft - I know this depends on the speakers but I'll probably be using a pair of cheap 0.25W 8 ohm speakers in each cabinet (any recommendations appreciated here too).
  5. Robust - it needs to be able to run unattended for days out in the desert heat
    [/list=1]
    You can read up on the project details if you're interested in what this thing will be doing.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.