Headphone Amplifier ( Circuit needed)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re Headfphone Amplifier Kit

Silicon Chip magazine recently pulished a design for a very high quality headphone amplifier kit and a suitable voltage regulator board. The unit is able to drive headphones from 8 ohm to 600ohm. (minor component changes for high or low impedance phones.) It is also designed to drive 2 pairs of headphones at a time. The constructor would need to be able to safely build it in a suitable plastic case containing a 15-0-15VAC 20VA toroidal transformer , mains switch and sockets etc, as well as a volume control . I am using such a unit with my X-FI PC sound card.
Jaycar Electronics sells both kits for<AU$40 (KC5417 and KC5418)
I had to fit a banana plug connected to the amps mains earth , to plug in a lead connected to the PC metalwork ,to kill an earth hum

www.jaycar.com.au
SandyK

re Headwize

I have seen many of those designs, and haven't been overly excited by most of them. IMHO, the recent Silicon Chip design would have better performance than most of them, and is also capable of driving 2 sets of headphones at once. It can also be optimised for the low impedance OR higher impedance types, and gives a reasonable amount of protection to the wearer of the headphones as far as potententially ear damaging levels are concerned. The measured specifications are also very good by today's standards.
The big advantage is the price of the kit which is just under $30 for the Headphone Amp kit only. Both kits are about AU$48 (not AU$40 as I said earlier) The kits are also capable of even higher SQ with changes of the opamps and O/P devices.
Hopefully, there is a (poor) copy of the schematic attached.
SandyK

Attachments

• studio series headphone amplifier -reduced size2.jpg
    studio series headphone amplifier -reduced size2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 975
What format is the picture? If you convert to GIF (ie. by using MS Paint) there is usually no problem with file size. Howver, that works best with original drawings made on a computer. Scanned pictures might be problematic.

BTW, I wonder why they took the effort to make the buffer so complicated, with dual CCSs, and still not changed two diodes to transistors to get a diamond buffer instead?

Headphone Amplifier (circuit needed)

2SA 1939 should have read 2SA1930
BTW, Silicon Chip magazine is a world class electronics magazine. I have bought every single issue since it's inception.
If anyone is interested, the May 2007 issue contains the first part of a 20W Class A project. They claim it has the lowest distortion of any design ever published. I am using a modified version of their original 15W Class A design.
Us Aussies are very proud of Silicon Chip magazine !
SandyK

Re: Headphone Amplifier (circuit needed)

sandyK said:

I am using a modified version of their original 15W Class A design.
Us Aussies are very proud of Silicon Chip magazine !
SandyK

How did you modify your's?
I up'd the volt and bias on mine long ago, still works:D
sweet sounding amp, up'd power adds more too the lower end.

as for the headphone amp see
http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=6605&fpage=1

much better than the SC one
also if your used SC preamp try AD's in place of the opa2134's

allan

re Headphone Amplifier (circuit needed)

Re Class A Amplifier changes
Among other things, I used dual regulated power supplies and a shielded Toroidal transformer with dual windings, as well as 2 bride rectifiers. I replaced the TIP41/TIP42 series pass transistors in the REg. PSUs with the faster MJE15030/MJE15031 as well. I also used the wider bandwidth 1302/3281 in place of the MJL devices.There were numerous other changes too.
SandyK

Allan
I have sent you an email. So you may have to check your spam filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.