DIY TT Exotic Suspensions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've experimented quite a bit over the years with turntable suspension. What i would say is that the specific implementation of sprung suspension makes a lot of difference to the end result - centre of gravity - specific tuned frequency - number of springs - extension or compression etc.

Magnetic suspension has it's benefits but it also has significant side effects. In particular, it is very difficult to hold the suspension centered without resorting to mechanical restraint - not to mention the magnetic field generated. It's also not true that a magnetic suspension does not exhibit bounce or behave like a mechanical spring in many ways.

I've modified a Systemdek with leaf springs. Not too difficult to do and very pleasing results. You don't even need hardened steel as long as your load stays in the elastic range of the springs.

The crasiest thing I've seen was an alu-platter swimming in mercury...:dead:

Right at this moment i am experimenting with a diy belt drive mass TT, and suspended it with four water filled soft rubber toy balls!
I putted the balls underneath the 63mm MDF TT base, and the decoupling is perfect. The resonance frequency is estimated 4 Hz.
I check decoupling with a stethoscope. (Btw should smooth the edges of rectangulat TT base, right in the corner all sounds are more obvious, there are reflections in the material cumulated.)

My former diy TT was direct drive and spring suspended on rubbers, base was marble, wooden plinth, on spikes. This time i will do everything in an other way, because a simple Dual CS505-2 totally outperformes my diy DD. The marble resonates terrible in mids, stethoscope reveiled that.

Leaf Springs, Hmmm? Like Starrett feeler guages. In .001in increments. Even available in 12 in long pieces.

The torsion bars suspension can be made with small diam carbon steel rods from McMaster Carr. Not unlike the Suspension on a 911 Porsche. I wonder if we could get Koni to make us some little shock absorbers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.