Marshall Signal Path Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am interested in changing some components in my amp with some better parts to improve the sound. The only problem is I am more then capable of using a soldering iron but I'm not as capable as reading schematics.

So I was hoping someone could tell me which locations on the pvc board that needs to be replaced just as far as the signal path goes.

Here is a page where the schematics can be found. http://www.marshallschematics.com/ My amp is a JCM2000.

One more thing, if anyone has some suggestions what brands I should go with as far as capacitors. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Bryan

Hey,

I have a JCM 2000 DSL 100.

Is your amp the 50 watt or 100 watt version?

The only place that cap replacement will yield a large benefit is the replacement of the filter caps. If they are replaced with a larger value the ripple currents out of the power supply will be reduced. Some, however, have replaced one of the caps with a choke, and have had great results.

One mod that I highly suggest is the removal of C12 from the input board. C12 is the bright cap across the Ultra gain master volume pot. Removal of it kills the oerly bright highs and mids, and the tone is much improved. Think of a cranked plexi or JCM 800.

I recomend checking out www.marshallampforum.com . The guys there kow thier marshalls inside and out.

Good luck,
distorted

Hey Distorted. I actually already saw your post there on the other forums about c12, I was going to get to that tomorrow actually.

I have replaced one of those caps with a MM choke, you can actually look at my write up on the other forums aswell.

I have yet to post this question on the other forums becuase I thought maybe this question might be better answered here.

The reason I want to change the signal path is because I want a cleaner sound. Which I'm pretty sure will be achived with better parts.

BTW its a DSL50

Thanks, Bryan

SaveTheMarshall said:
Hey Distorted. I actually already saw your post there on the other forums about c12, I was going to get to that tomorrow actually.

I have replaced one of those caps with a MM choke, you can actually look at my write up on the other forums aswell.

I have yet to post this question on the other forums becuase I thought maybe this question might be better answered here.

The reason I want to change the signal path is because I want a cleaner sound. Which I'm pretty sure will be achived with better parts.

BTW its a DSL50

Thanks, Bryan

Oh, wow, I completely missed that you were the same guy who did the woderful write-up on the mm choke and transformer combo. *smacks head on monitor*

Good luck, I will be watching this thread to see what these guys come up with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.