class a bias current and distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have seen many people explaining how much bias current to use for a given power into a specific load ( 8 or 4 ohms ) to new builders getting started with the JLH and others, giving only the amount needed calling the rest wasted heat. From what I have seen when examing transistors with an IV analyzer has shown a non linear bend or dog leg in the current output when going near cut off. Simulations have shown me that keeping the current above this bend reduces high order harmonics 5th and up a considerable amount. So for those of us who dont care to use huge heatsinks there may be benifit to overbiasing a class a output stage to keep it above the non linear bend in the output trans. current curve. Those who know a little more than I care to explain how this bend in the curve affects the linearity of the output, and is there really a benefit to biasing to keep the current above this point?

You have made questions and you have posted answers.

And you are rigth in the majority of your thougths.

Congratulations..you have a good understanding about the process...maybe you do not know is that you already know a lot of things.

To know, how much those things will affect the audition..you have to construct an amplifier and test those ideas under practical work.

No one will be able to convince you about things if you do not perceive them by yourself, listening, concluding and having insigths about.

Words, languages, text and simulators are common, Universal, ways to communicate ideas.

Music and noises will communicate sound.

Joining all theories together practice, both of them will make sense very fast.

As you have posted in your profile...to turn the Blah, Blah, Blah into reality.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.