unwanted spying and listning in my home

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do i find unwanted radio transmitters and listning devices in my home.please help because i think who has put them there is my then neighbour who is an electrition and who is also very familiar with my ex girlfriend.i have heard certain things comin from the tv and radio.plus i have heard my ex answer an act on some of the things been said which makes me think there could be a listening device,i have moved house but it is still in view of the electricians.i dont have any clue of what to do or what to look for plus how to prove who it is.please someone help

Andrew,
Someone would REALLY have to want to bug you
Bugging someone is not necessarilly as straight forward as you may believe. The proper stuff with any decent transmitting range is quite expensive.
Wireless cameras would be quite expensive and be limited in range. They would also need a mains power source to transmit for any decent length of time/distance and that's just not really practical.

Most surveillance solutions are for security like the ones sold at Maplins. Have a look at them and see just how big they are. Yeah, you can buy them really small but at a price and with other limitations.

What are you hearing form your TV or radio? The airwaves are now full of strange signals and interference. There are many weak signals from far away that can clash with our regular programming. This often changes with weather conditions. I can pick up French TV sometimes and often I see french 'words' like shadows behind my favourite shows. The cilit bang advert is identical in france except it becomes 'Ceelit Bong'!!!

We often joke because we think that our neighbours are aliens with special powers. Partly because they are wrinkly, partly because they generate very little rubbish and mostly because whenever (sometimes) we mention something in private they later act on it. We once discussed that they should park their car at the far end of our shared driveway. They have never ever done that since I have lived here yet they did the very next day. Coincidence is amazing!! and entertaining and spooky!!!

You sound as if you are really worried about this bugging. I am not saying that you are wrong because I am not there but when we are stressed or anxious about something we tend to 'scan' for the things that worry us. I know because I do it! In the most extreme cases this can even lead to an anxiety state where our thoughts are so clouded by the stress of the situation that we cannot think straight at all.

Let's just take a step back a little and try to get to the bottom of this.

Best regards,
Martin. :)

Well the obvious answer would be call the local authorities.
If the house etc is 'bugged' maybe go to a pay phone or go into the local 'cop shop'.
I would like to think that 'bugging' over there is treated the same way as it is over here.
"Invasion of privacy" is just the first law broken.
I think it's a federal law so that makes it even more serious.
For the person that placed the 'bug' that is.

If they've used cheap 'bugs', just grab an fm radio, turn it's volume up a little, then slowly tune across the band.
if you suddenly hear feedback (squeeling) or a complete lack of noise, there MAY be a 'bug' nearby thats tuned to that frequency.

Hi,

Unless you have pets in your house, a way to temporarily disable a typical room listening bug is with high intensity ultrasonics. Like the old "mosquito shoo" machines that never really worked. Some could crank out 110dB+ of 25-40KHz energy. Would certainly overload a condenser mic so speech would be jibberish on the RX end.

(ps - don't leave it running inside a room too long, as they can damage nerves)

Cheers!

Trying a handheld FM radio and carefully scanning is your best bet. Anything they are likely to have used will be transmitting on the normal FM band.

Just put some music on in the room you think is bugged, then go to a different room and see if you can pick up the music transmitting on the radio.

Think about how these bugs could be powered. A battery will last only a few days max. So they would have needed to pick up a mains feed soewhere. That makes it hard to install and locate.

Coincidence and worry and stress can do funny things to your mind. I think you will be ok.

<edited by moderator>

It would be interesting to know what "things" the thread-starter heard on radio or TV.

One method to find bugs working in the FM radio range is in fact to tune a radio through with the volume turned up. This would lead to feedback howl on the frequency used by the bug which should go away if the volume is turned down.

If the eavesdropper is living close by he might also use some kind of directional microphone.

Regards

Charles

I have removed the posts that did not attempt to answer the question and those containing sarcastic content.

Charles, I removed the first two lines of yours as they pointed to some of the offending posts.

:cop:

To all: Do not post here in an effort to display your humour. You are not funny. This person is deserving of credible answers. All others will be removed and the offending parties dealt with.

You can get a little bug sniffing device from Maplin. I think it's just a wideband radio receiver - it has LEDs to show it's picking something up. They are only about £5 - I bought one on impulse when I was getting some stuff for work.

They detect mobile phone transmissions and 2.4 GHz wireless cameras (I have one in the garage for security)

For the sake of £5, it may be worth buying and running over your place with it - it'll pick up the Micky Mouse wireless "spying" kit that's available in Maplin or on Ebay - it won't help with wired kit but that's loads of bother to install.

If you do find anything - don't act on it straight away - there are steps that should probably be taken involving the authorities and in the cold light of day.

GL :)

<edit>

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...=StaticPages&doy=search&MenuName=Bug detector

This is a different one, but still not very expensive.

</edit>

I want to thank everyone that has replied to my concern.With so many different ideas offered its hard to know where to start.Some people have left sarcastic remarks that were removed(thanks)but overall I`m glad you and others have taken it as genuine.Nobody could even begin to imagine what its like unless they are the person its happening to.Thanks again all that replied.

Hi Andrew,

Don't take the sarcasm (from some people) personally. I think that they perhaps failed to understand just how stressful this situation can be.

Trying the radio thing is an obvious place to start and maybe consider the Maplin bug detector to help set your mind at ease. Any wireless system will be giving off a reasonably powerful signal and shouldn't be too hard to locate.

After that ...... I wouldn't really worry about it. As mentioned earlier, a wired system would be a real pain to install.

Good luck,
Martin.

Don't take the sarcasm (from some people) personally. I think that they perhaps failed to understand just how stressful this situation can be.

This can of course only work out if you are enough relaxed and cold-blooded.

These members are talking something for which I gave a solution...

I can know better than many since I have gone through a much difficult situation, and now when I rewind those incidents, I realised the exageration of the incidents I made due to anxiety. Now it just makes me laugh at myself.

Coming to the electronics...
if he is spying on u, counterattack and spy back, on him. Atleast u will know for sure.
and a non-conclusive sitation will at-the-least come to an end.

Offence is the best defence.

I have removed the posts that did not attempt to answer the question and those containing sarcastic content.

I suggest that you close this thread altogether. People suffering from this type of paranoia show up from time to time in other forums and newsgroups and nothing can be said or done to help them here.

The opportunity for sarcasm is the only worthwhile feature of these types of threads.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.