Adjustable regulator for 50v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Adjustable Regulator

Consider using the LM317/LM337 regulators. They are available in both positive and negative polarities and are designed for floating applications. In other words, they can regulate any input voltage as long as the input to output voltage difference is less than aprox 35V. The output voltage is set by a ratio of two external resistors. I have used these devices in many applications, and they are reliable and easy to design with.

For a 5A supply, you will need to use an external pass transistor, but National Semi has an example shown in their application notes (look under LM317 or LM337 on their website).

Hope this helps.

JCM

Hi

I have used lm devices with pass transistor as analogue guy says and I found it worked just fine. I used it for a JLH amplifier.

Recently I prefer to simply use the pass transistor/mosfet with zeners to set the voltage without using the lm devices as I find this approach sounds the best. You can use either pass transistors or mosfets; either will work just fine. If you are not familiar with this concept there is a 4 page explanation of how to design and build a power supply using pass mosfets or transistors by Nelson Pass in the The Zen Variations part three "Active supply Regulation" at Passdiy. A superb article by Nelson as always and well worth a read if you have not done this before.

I also add capacitors between the positive and negative rails and audio ground just before the amplifier modules. I do not know the details of your amplifiers but I usually use 1000uf capacitors in thsse locations. I also use high quality 105 degree capacitors.

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.