Charging batteries with a variable power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How to charge a normal lead acid car battery and an Absorbent glass mat 7ah battery

I have a diode built into my power supply

How can I build a charger that will maintain the battery for then needed, it’s like a UPS type
Will it work if I use my 1.5A variable power supply and set the output to exactly 13.80 volt DC, will that charge my battery to 13.80 and maintain it without overcharging for a couple of years and without making gas builds ups

In my test it’s a discharged battery and the power supply is set to 13,80V DC and if I connect the wires the voltage drop down to 13.40v and it charge at a rate of 0.20A, but why not 1A or 1,5A ?

the best way to charge a SLA or Vrsla type battery is using a controlled impedance charger.
sounds bad but in practice its a 317 regulator from nat semi or sgs. sgs has an app in the l317 data sheet on this, circuit is simple placing a .22 R resistor in serise with the output, with feed back poost resistor, output impedance is them RS (0.22)*Rf/Ri so real resistor is .22 R, apparent is much higher. see http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/2154/lm317.pdf
figure 12
works for all batteries of the sla type I have tried, prevents boiling the battery.

Charger

Thanks man, it looks nice, I’ll try it out, I have some LM317 regulators, and in my datasheet from “Fairchild semiconductors” they don’t give some sweet examples from the LM317.
I know that this is a thread of long ago but did you solve the low current output of your P.S.U.? I built a lot of chargers of this kind for lift trucks and all they were was a stabilized PSU with a current limiter to protect the poor transformer if the customer start to use the charger to drive the truck when the batteries were depleted
Your PSU "see" the battery as just another load.Do you have a 723 type I.C. ? Scrap it that is the worst I.C. on the market!!!!!!!!!!:mad::confused: I eventually replaced it with a discrete circuit but I used small power transistors where a small transistor was specified (3amp vs.100mA) The extra expense of those power transistors paid for itself in reliability .:):D:Popworm:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.