Selecting coupling cap for half-bridge offline SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pierre,
You're welcome. The diodes connect reversed biased in series from the lower power rail to the upper (+B) rail. The midpoint between the diodes then connects to the junction between the coupling capacitor and the transformer primary winding.

Another interesting thing this current limiting method does is that once the voltage on the primary winding drops to zero, the stored energy in the transformer begins go down. That process can actually reduce the slew rate of the primary winding waveform and theoretically EMI, too.

Earlier I mentioned how 25khz clipping on the 320 volt supply placed that much voltage on my 250v DC rated mylar capacitor. I want to change that recollection of my bench test. I have not been at my electronics bench lately, but I am fairly sure that since the power supply is +/- 160v, one end of the capacitor is connected to 0v, causing the peak voltage to be 160 on the capacitor. Now I am more confident in the results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.