Dual Power Supply Design for LM4780

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
National used 2 transformers in their LM4702 amplifier application note -- (AN-1490) they are smaller, (not smaller by volume than one transformer with the same VA rating), but perhaps more easy to configure in the chassis -- further -- they shielded the transformers with Mu-Metal.

At one time several DIYAUDIO participants were recommending regulating the power supply for the chipamps -- while the PSRR of the devices was more than sufficient it was thought that regulation improved the performance -- these designs were based upon a conventional off-the-shelf, positive-side-only regulator so 2 transformers or a transformer with dual secondaries was necessary.

Thanks jack. I understand National's consideration for two smaller transformer. However, I am not able to follow your point on regulator. Any two regulator could be used with common ground, it really does not require two secondaries. or am I missing something.

Morever, I was comparing dual secondaries with bridge vs FWCT.

Hi,
centre tapped can produce a dual polarity DC supply. The regulators MUST be +ve type for the +ve rail and -ve type for the -ve rail.

Dual secondaries can produce either a dual polarity supply with a common 0Volt and follow the centre tapped topology.
or
give two independant DC supplies which can each be regulated with any combination of +ve or -ve regulators.
Then the resulting pair DC outputs can be connected to form a dual polarity supply.

Like so -- with the appropriate resistor values for your app:

Attachments

• dual.gif
    dual.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 306
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.