PS for 5.1 Dolby Digital System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on a 5.1 Dolby Digital System and now I reach the point where I'm think about the power supply. I talked to a lot of guys and I've got a lot of different answers.

My problem is that I need a Trafo with 76V with 180Watt and 2A output per Chanel (of course for audio amplifier)

My question is if it's better to make one Trafo for each Chanel or one Trafo for all five chanels??
It would be easier for me to make it with one Trafo but I'm afraid that there will be to much interferences.

if maybe some of you had the same or similar problem please let me know which experience you made..

tanks wolfi

Hi,
Trafo with 76V with 180Watt and 2A output per Chanel
could you explain where this specification came from?
Are you quoting AC or DC volts/amps?

I am a believer in putting the amps beside the speakers. Using short speaker cables and long line level interconnects where required.

I also believe that multi-channel amps need a careful and thorough understanding of how the currents flow in the various interconnected circuits to avoid problem with audio quality. It is much easier to build a good sounding monoblock than a stereo on a shared transformer. Going to 6channel is even more complicated.

Hi,
you are arriving at the PSU specification from the wrong end.

Start with the power amplifier and use that as the basis for deciding what size the PSU should be.
What speaker impedances are you planning to use?
What power do you expect from each amplifier?
What voltage does each amplifier need for that required power?

ok, maybe you don't really get what i want so i form my question diffrent this time.

I have 5 amps and i need a power supply for them.
one amp: PS: +/- 30V, max 2A, ~100W

is it better if i use one trafo for each amp or is better to supply all five amps with one trafo.

Sincerely,

Wolfi

Have you considered using a switching PSU?
I read somewhere that Coldamp SPS30 (as SPS80 is way too big for you) can be made with custom voltages. You can ask them, they are quite helpful.

I have one SPS30 (and several SPS80) and they run very well, no noises at all in my amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.