Center-tap to ground? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Center-tap to ground?

I finally got my Aikido hum down to tolerable levels, after much advice from folk on the Tubes forum.

Now, my question relates to the center-tap of my Hammond 269AX 125-0-125 transformer. I am using full-wave recitification and get around 360VDC after the cap input filter system. My heaters are powered by a separate 6.3VAC transformer whose center-tap is referenced to 1/4 B+.

So, back to the HT transformer. Do I need to ground the center-tap? If I do, where's best? I could connect it to the ground of the recitified voltage, in other words, I'd connect it to the -ve end of the first cap (a 1.5uF motor-run). Or, I could connect it directly to the chassis.

Right now, my PSU/signal grounds are run into the Broskie Aikido board utilizing the star-ground on the PCB. The PCB is direct coupled to the chassis using the designed-in PCB mounting bolt. I will experiment with this a little to see if diode/cap/resistor combination can lift this ground a little from the chassis/IEC earth.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Charlie

Hide this!Advertise here!