Synchronizing multiple generators -AC of courses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They stay in sync automatically!

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
Must have had some very stable generators for the phase to stay in place during operation without constant adjustment.
Not so.
I use a cummins Diesel 15KW marine generator for my house during outages.
When there are long term outages I run a 7KW Gas generator that I synchronize with the the 15Kw genset using a light bulb and a resistor. You can use two light bulbs but for my purposes one with the resistor is just fine.
Once you have the two generators in sync and tie them together they will stay in sync with each other. If one is slowing down enough to actually try to go out of sync it will start acting as a motor and the other will drag it along in sync. Soon as you add power to the driving motor etc it will again start sharing the load but once in sync, "always in sync" other than a major failure occurrence.
My reason is I like to shut down my diesel genset to check it every 24 hours or so.
When I get ready to do checks I set thermostats on the larger AC systems to off about five minutes before the shut down so the little 7KW guy doesn't have to try to start them. "IT CAN'T!"
Likewise after checking the Diesel system out I restart it, resync them and then shut down the little gas generator for servicing etc.
That way the refrigerators, TV's, Microwave's etc all work without any outages.
I did this through the three weeks of power outage during hurricane IKE.
Once a week I start both generator and then switch the house to the Diesel 15KW generator, let it run about 5 minutes then sync the gas generator and bring it on line.
I then manually over ride the governor on the Diesel 15Kw and retard the power until the little gas 7Kw unit until it is straining with the extra load and hold it about a minute. Some or most of that load is from the 15Kw generator acting like a motor since I have attempted to slow it down.
Since the little generator is not able to actually run the big generator if I were to pull power totally on the big one I am careful to only retard the throttle enough to be able to hear the small engine labor.
I can retard the throttle of the little genset and actually hear the 15Kw engine pick up it's load and the added load of keeping it in sync.

Simply put, get them in sync, "very easy to do" and they will take care of the syncronization from there on.
Your biggest problem is load balancing.
I just simply let my small generator run higher throttle setting to take more of the load.
I don't care about balancing, just that it is taking some or most of the load. I have modified the govenor of the small genset to run about 70Hz when in open circuit. That makes sure it is taking some of the load and the big one is holding it in sync.
One other note.
My little gas engine is running on Propane and I have a wood gas generator it runs on if all else fails.
Keep that for when Obama succeeds in his plan to totally destroy our infrastructure and fuels are not any longer available at the pumps.
It ain't if, it's when if we don't do something really fast!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.