12v=19v 4,7A dcdc - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2007, 01:23 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Yes, that was the whole idea with going with an alternator-battery-inverter setup, so I could slow down under light loads. At present, I don't have a servo controlling the engine's throttle, just manual control. If the opportunity presents itself in the future, I would like to add some form of mprocessor control, but that's not in the cards for the near-term future. At a low loads, the engine idles at about 800-1000RPMs, just above the volume of a brisk conversation.

At max load, I'm putting it at 3600-3800RPMs, and it's kinda loud, but I'm working on quieting that.
Old 25th October 2007, 07:23 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Also had to change out the regulator- nasty popping noises coming from the inverter because the alternator's output voltage was approaching 15.1V.

Switched it out for the regulator I had in my other CS-144, and new output voltage settles down to ~14.4V, much more manageable. Apparently, the Xantrex doesn't like anything over 15V, because the inverter's LCD controller display kept flashing "DC-DC Converter Shutdown!".
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:15 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

does any1 have a schematic for the inverter i like to make a cheap ut reliable one or would i be better to buy it money wise because biuldin electronics is just str8 up fun
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:21 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Shadie-

Here's the best of both worlds: Find a broken one, get the schematic from the manufacturer (Like Aims). I have a 2500W inverter that is on the fritz, but was able to get the schematics for it. When I get the time, I will try to fix it. Just remember, unless the inverter is labeled specifically "Pure Sine wave" or "Sine Wave" output, assume that it is a "Modified" Sinewave, which means (+) & (-) pulses separated by some deadtime to crudely simulate a real sinewave.
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:49 PM   #135
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

One of my modifications to an inverter for use with modern electronics is adjust the dead time to a lower value so it outputs about 170v peak squarewave and perhaps add a little inductive filtering. That decreases the ripple and peak current. The AC power supplies then run cooler.
Old 3rd November 2007, 02:51 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

just remember that square wave is the sum of very many harmonics, each successive at a higher and higher frequency. ThisRFi needs to be attenuated properly. Perhaps some L-C filtering?.......
Old 4th November 2007, 03:03 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Default turn off pulses

well i have been on the road for a couple of months.
i have been trying to get kampenenens to work with an etd-59 and 1turn for the pri and 1.5 turn for the secondary, and i get crazy turn off pulses and ringing.
powering with 12 volts the turn off pulses are like 200 volts.

i was trying to get tight coupling i have tried copper strips, wire, litz everthing.....

Old 4th November 2007, 03:59 AM   #138
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by N-Channel
just remember that square wave is the sum of very many harmonics, each successive at a higher and higher frequency. ThisRFi needs to be attenuated properly. Perhaps some L-C filtering?.......
Modern power supplies have enough filtering. But filtering can help prevent EMI issues due to coupling from the power cords.
It's also pretty straightforward to modify an inverter to output 170v DC. However, some power supplies with active PFC (most universal input power supplies) will wait a few zero crossings before starting operation in order to reduce inrush current. DC does not have zero crossings so those power supplies, while otherwise perfectly capable of operation on DC, will not start up. A lightly filtered 170v peak squarewave with just a little dead time is a good compromise that allows power supplies with PFC to start up. It also allows power supplies with voltage doublers to work.
Old 4th November 2007, 12:29 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Default Re: turn off pulses

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesrnz
well i have been on the road for a couple of months.
i have been trying to get kampenenens to work with an etd-59 and 1turn for the pri and 1.5 turn for the secondary, and i get crazy turn off pulses and ringing.
powering with 12 volts the turn off pulses are like 200 volts.

i was trying to get tight coupling i have tried copper strips, wire, litz everthing.....

etd-59 is dual e core and the material is 3c90 (2300) ferroxcube running at 100khz

the suppresors get smokin hot and the spike remains although a little lower but still high enough to punch through(lots of fire and smoke)
Old 31st December 2007, 02:11 PM   #140
mw3kgq is offline mw3kgq  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

does any one know where to obtain the MOSFETS
MTP75N06E from i have tried farnell they dont apear to do them
if someone could tell me where they have bought them from it would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!