Isolation Transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I know this is going to seem like a stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway. I bought a medical grade isolation transformer off of ebay because I planned to hook my CD player up to it to keep the line clean -- the transformer came late today and all of the plugs are female. So, stupid me-- how do I use this thing?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Replace the plugs? No seriously. Why not post a pic so we can advise you. Do you have data on the connections of that thing?
Note that medical isolation transformers basically are spec'ed to give better isolation between primary and secondary. That doesn't mean better audio performance, BUT there probably is a screen between primary and secondary. Grounding that screen at a well-chosen point will help to keep mains-borne noise and interference out of your equipment and THAT definitely gives better audio!

Jan Didden

Thanks for the help!

This is not mine, but this is the type of plug mine has, as opposed to a US wall outlet...

Attachments

• 15_1.jpg
    15_1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 221
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jack Torrance said:
Thanks, batee! That was the answer I was looking for. Now let me ask about what exactly do I need to do to ground the screen as janneman mentioned to see an improvement in my audio?

Jack,

I was assuming from your post that you had a bare transformer, which you needed to wire up. Now, if this one is a medical isolation transformer pretty sure the inter-winding screens are already wired up correctly. The only way to verify is to dismantle the thing but then you also need to know the various transformer leads and connections.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.