Noob PSU questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't done a search since I don't know what to search for. Maybe what I ask for does not exist. I'm a noob. So be gentle.

The main reason to use regulated tube PSUs (as opposed to unregulated), as I see it, is to reduce impedance.

SS PSUs are virtually always regulated, using either a fixed voltage regulator like 78XX or variable ones like the LM337. But I have also seen more complex (non SMPS) designs using transistors and/or opamps. What's the deal with the latter? I don't think impedance. But I'm not here to speculate. Anyway, there has to be a reason for somebody to put in the effort making these more complicated designs.

To make myself and why I ask more clear, I'm thinking about PSUs for low-level gear like preamps, phono stages and DACs. For power amps, like a chip or T amp, I would stick with a "standard" PSU.

A regulator varies itself to ensure the output is stable. It does this by using a known reference and/or sampling the output (feedback) to know which way to adjust at any given time. The more efficient this process is, the lower the impedance that the regulator resembles. This can be achieved with more gain in the feedback/from the reference, hence the op-amps.

No matter how low the impedance of a regulator, there is a value of filter capacitor that can give an equally low impedance. I think the regulator has more subtle advantages, like perhaps not needing the capacitor, for example, and also line regulation.

Hi,
the regulator achieves at least one more function.
It brings the supply voltage to a level that can be used by the amplfier circuit.

It can also be engineered to provide overcurrent protection.

If you want some reading material go to the W.Jung site. and read both his and Jan Diddens articles.

Here's a link to one that was posted yesterday.
http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Regs_for_High_Perf_Audio_1.pdf

His opamp articles also contain a depth of information that is difficult to find elsewhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.