from 120V 50hz to 230v 50hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thank you

how can it, when even powercords are claimed to have a sound.

No I'm not of that party. Infact I see that even audiophile brands such NAD or AMC use very normal and thick power cords.

if the sound of transformers doesn't bother you

Do you mean the sound of the external transformer, right? because With all that energy there shouldn't be some fans?

On the spec sheet of the amp:
Power consumation 360W so what converter I need to have "full power" also at high volume? 360w is ok or I need some reserve?

thank you

Do a google search for "1000W autotransformer" which is all you need with a very large safety factor.

you should be able to source one for €100 or so, eg

http://www.henrys.co.uk/TEST/testequipmentpricelist.html

An autotransfor is a lot cheaper since it only has one winding with taps on it (0-110v-120v-220v-240v etc)

So you would connect your (italian?) 230v between 0 and 230v, and the amplifer between 0 and 120v

Hi,
wait till you can get inside.
The transformer may have a dual primary that can be rewired to take various voltages from 110Vac upto 240Vac.

If the transformer has only a single low voltage primary, then you have a choice
1. change the transformer to a 230Vac version with all the correct secondary tappings and windings (could be expensive).
or
2. fit an external transformer to convert your 230Vac down to 110 or 120Vac to suit the maximum amplifier input power.

An autoformer is cheaper and technically just as good if you go for an external conversion.
An isolating transformer offers the advantage of isolating your amplifier from the mains and eliminates one of the routes for mains hum (earth loop). The portable 230Vac to 55-0-55Vac safety transformers used on building sites would give what you need and relatively cheaply (do you have these in Italy?).

yes we have but they aren't so cheap.
The transformer may have a dual primary that can be rewired to take various voltages from 110Vac upto 240Vac.
Explain me well, it's cheap and easy to do?

An isolating transformer offers the advantage of isolating your amplifier from the mains and eliminates one of the routes for mains hum (earth loop).

If I don't use isolation transformer I get hum from my speaker or from something?
or it's just the normal noise on the current line that I get today? I hate hum

The portable 230Vac to 55-0-55Vac safety transformers used on building sites would give what you need and relatively cheaply (do you have these in Italy?).

Hi,
WAIT!!!!!!!!

Check inside and see if it is fitted with a dual primary transformer.

If it is then call back and we can explain the easy conversion.

(just hope it's not as confusing as a recent KRELL thread - they go out of their way to prevent conversion)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.