mains filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
now he has two "live" lines, where there has only been one before, and a floating earth tied to a home power socket. That doesn't fills me with confidence.

Can't see the 'floating' bit on his schematic - that's definitely an earth symbol he's drawn. Each wire is only half as live as the previous single live wire. Works for me, I get a reduction in 50Hz leakage around 20dB by using such an arrangement.

Probably the big difference is the the GFCI's are more sensitive. They trip at 5 ma. leakage rather than 30 ma. So some power conditioners on some noisy power lines that dump the noise current to the safety ground (PE, EGC) will trip the GFCI.

But my question really was, how would you mount a RCBO and RCCB breaker inside a piece of equipment? Mounting a GFCI breaker would be ugly,

Pick a filter with appropriate current/wattage rating for the component/device for which it is filtering the power. Don't put a 10 A filter on a component that draws 100 W. You will get generally get better filtering from a 2 A rated filter than the 10 A one. This is mainly because the inductors can be of higher inductance on the lower current filter; on higher current filters, the inductance needs to be reduced to prevent saturation. OTOH, a physically very large 10 A filter may have much better filtering than a physically small (IEC socket sized) 2 A one. For a given size (and price range), the lower the current rating, the better the attenuation of noise. A quick scan of a manufacturer's product line data sheets or brochure will confirm this.

A quick scan of a manufacturer's product line data sheets or brochure will confirm this.

I wholeheartedly second your comments about picking the current rating of filter which applies to the particular unit. Worth bearing in mind that manufacturers want their filters to be shown in the best light (who wouldn't? :)). That means they'll show HF attenuaton with a ground-plane earth - read clean, low inductance. In reality the HF rejection of filters is fairly sensitive to inductance in the ground lead and, naturally enough to noise carried on it. This is most especially true of filters relying on Y-caps for their effectiveness.

RCBO and RCCB are mains electricity safety devices.
Residual Current Breaker means much the same as Earth Leakage Breaker.

If mains current is leaking to earth the device notices that the Live current is not the same as the Neutral current and opens the contacts to isolate the apparent fault (current leaking to earth).

These devices were not intended to be fitted to the secondary side of an isolating transformer.

Remember they measure the difference between the Live current and the Neutral current and when that difference exceeds a preset threshold the breaker opens.

Thanks AndrewT. What you're suggesting, then, is to place the RCBO before?
The secondary will be balanced (115 - 0 - 115) and I was wondering how the device would correctly on this.

Probably the big difference is the the GFCI's are more sensitive. They trip at 5 ma. leakage rather than 30 ma. So some power conditioners on some noisy power lines that dump the noise current to the safety ground (PE, EGC) will trip the GFCI.

But my question really was, how would you mount a RCBO and RCCB breaker inside a piece of equipment? Mounting a GFCI breaker would be ugly,

You're right Speedskater. It's an ugly installation and I already have a solution. (more to come). It isn't impossible and since I already have one I would like to know where the best place to place it (prim. or sec. side).

The difference in sensitivity depends on the rating of the device. Mine is 30mA, model ABB DS202C.
Thanks

Hello all, two points to highlight:

1. this is a balanced output
2. the tx is shielded and isolated with balanced output (115 - 0 - 115)

Since the tx is already filtering DC is it really necessary so much additional filtering, and if so, for what devices?

My amps on commercial power conditioners/filters sound worse, any ideas why?

It's not exactly clear what your concern is. I need to ground the primary side to the secondary side? I wouldn't think so. If not, what are you suggesting?

The major issue is what does the 3-line triangle mean in your drawing.

If it is earth, as in the concrete you are standing on, you will die if you hold the L and stand on the same concrete. And it won't trip the RCD on the primary side.

The major issue is what does the 3-line triangle mean in your drawing.

If it is earth, as in the concrete you are standing on, you will die if you hold the L and stand on the same concrete. And it won't trip the RCD on the primary side.

Now I understand what you mean. Yes, you are right. The 3-line triangle symbol is in fact destined to the building earth (not ground as in diagram).
The diagram is incorrect and now I will amend it for the next version. In this case the yellow/green wire since this is arriving from a standard plug. If the earth stays constant from building to primary it will trip the RCD, and, on both sides because they are mechanically coupled to each other.

However, I'm not sure how I will connect this on the transformer (in arrival in the next couple of days) since there will also be a shield to contemplate.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.