mains filter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2012, 02:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Ideally you'd want filters dedicated to the functions and power draws of each unit. Digital stuff tends to take lower power but throws out more noise (and at higher freqs) so would call for a multi-stage filter, not just a single CM choke. OTOH if you have a beefy poweramp its hard to give that much RF attenuation at higher power levels.
Old 26th January 2012, 03:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

ok, the RCBO will be placed on the secondary side. On the primary side, can I get by with just one fuse?

I know extra filtering doesn't hurt, but don't most components already have elaborate filters build in? I always try to to add great filtering in the components I build so I am a little perplexed on the need for additional filtering.

@ abraxalito
I understand what you mean so I'll explain better with the following.

My "power centre" will have 10 receptacles, 2 unfiltered and the remaining eight a combination of filtered, isolated and isolated-filtered.

I will be connecting the following (what combination I had in mind):
1. CD Transport (only filter) )
2. Tube DAC (tx + light filter)
3. Tube Pre (tx + light filter)
4. Turntable motor (only filter)
5. Pre phono (only filter)
6. Amp 1 (Gain clone) (tx only, maybe light filter)
7. & 8. Amp 2 & 3 are a pair of tube mono blocks (tx only, maybe light filter)

For points 1, 4 and 5, will I need to add a switch to break ground and should these feed off the isolation tx?
Old 26th January 2012, 03:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Its quite unusual to see elaborate mains filters built in - quite the opposite in fact. To me its surprising how few high-priced items pay seemingly no attention to filtering at all. Perhaps the dealers call the shots though and want to gain bigger margins on filters, just as they do on cables?

I'd not fee the TT motor via the isolation trafo. The amount of filtering I'd recommend depends on how many other noisy appliances you have on the same mains - LCD and plasma TVs, PCs and the like.
Old 26th January 2012, 06:07 PM   #14
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

RCBO and RCCB are mains electricity safety devices.
Residual Current Breaker means much the same as Earth Leakage Breaker.

If mains current is leaking to earth the device notices that the Live current is not the same as the Neutral current and opens the contacts to isolate the apparent fault (current leaking to earth).

These devices were not intended to be fitted to the secondary side of an isolating transformer.

Remember they measure the difference between the Live current and the Neutral current and when that difference exceeds a preset threshold the breaker opens.
Old 26th January 2012, 10:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Getting back to "mains filters" part of the topic, Jim Brown has some papers on the subject:

Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications
Old 26th January 2012, 10:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 27th January 2012, 01:49 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
These devices were not intended to be fitted to the secondary side of an isolating transformer.
True enough yet if you look as his proposed schematic, you'll see he's not using the isolating transformer for isolation, rather for balancing Line and Neutral to give 115VAC on both, but out of phase.
Old 27th January 2012, 03:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

For those of us on the other side of the pond, what is the mechanical construct of RCBO and RCCB breakers?

We have GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) available as receptacles and built into circuit breakers that fit in load centers, panel boards, breaker boxes.
Old 27th January 2012, 03:23 PM   #19
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I think your GFCI operate the same way our RCCB do.

As far as I know they all measure the difference between the Live current and the Neutral current and when Idiff exceeds a preset limit, they trigger to isolate the Live supply.
Old 27th January 2012, 03:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
True enough yet if you look as his proposed schematic, you'll see he's not using the isolating transformer for isolation, rather for balancing Line and Neutral to give 115VAC on both, but out of phase.
now he has two "live" lines, where there has only been one before, and a floating earth tied to a home power socket. That doesn't fills me with confidence.

Hide this!Advertise here!