Newb question...Center pot'ed transformer and rectifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been lurking about this web site for months, learning here and there, and thinking up more projects than I have the time or money to do. The main area of interest of mine on this site is the DIY amplifier section. My goal is to eventually put together some type of class A amp (Aleph, Krell clone, etc.).

My question today is about an old Realistic STA-2100 amp that I inherited from an uncle years ago. I've stripped it down to it's PSU and dual amp PCB's and am hoping to bypass the whole pre-amp section. The plan was to rebuild the PSU with separate full wave rectifiers and a bank of 30,000 uF caps (currently 15,000 uF per side) for each channel and and make it a dual mono block after the toroid, but I just realized it has a center pot'ed torroid. Is it possible to wire two full wave rectifiers for each channel? Could I wire the secondaries from the transformer to the AC diodes of the rectifier in parallel and wire the 0v common wire of the torroid in parralel between the capacitors that need to be in series per side?

I drew this up in eagle. Does any of it make sence?

Attachments

• wingit copy.jpg
    wingit copy.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 214
I understand how to wire one rectifier to a center pot'ed transformer, but will what i posted work? I've read on these forums that having two rectifiers will help stabalize the + and - DC lines and would like to hear the difference for myself. I'd like to separate the power supply to the separate sides as much as possible.

Hi,
keep the 4 caps.
Fit one rectifier to the top pair.
Fit one rectifier to the bottom pair
That will leave you with two PSUs, one for each channel.
Connect the smoothing caps commons (both of them) to the centre tap.
Connect the rectifiers ~ to the secondary windings so that both rectifiers are in parallel.

job done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.