Any of you could help to repairing the power section of a laptop? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2006, 09:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any of you could help to repairing the power section of a laptop?

I have just bouth a new battery pack, thinking the other was not charging because was damaged. My bad surprice is that the brand new one, donīt charge also.
My laptop is a IBM thinkpad T40, and it works ok with the AC adaptor. Also worked ok the battery till got discharged. Seems that there is a bug on the power section that doesnīt allow chargint the battery. Do you think is any solution for me?
I think otherwise I would have to replace the maiboard, what would be quite expensive, or maybe buy a external charger.
Any genious here could give me a light?
Old 26th November 2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/la...op-battery.htm

Here's a possible solution.

/Hugo
Old 26th November 2006, 10:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Netlist
http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/la...op-battery.htm

Here's a possible solution.

/Hugo

Whatīs the solution?
My laptop doesnīt charge "nothing" the battery. IT continues on 1% anymore.
Old 26th November 2006, 10:35 PM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
You have to take the laptop apart. There is a fuse on the battery terminal board that has blown. I bet that if you get he instructions or some one that knows how to take the laptop apart you could find it and resolder a new one on. OR if your comphy taking the laptop apart you could do it. Im sure you could search google for dsimantling pictures or even call ibm OR go to a authorized service center to get a tear down book. Im certified for many laptops so i don't need them but if you need help just ask.

J'
Old 27th November 2006, 02:35 PM   #5
jc2 is offline jc2
diyAudio Member

Does the battery information show up in power manager? Left click on the battery icon in the task bar, and select launch power manager, then click on the battery information tab.
Old 27th November 2006, 03:11 PM   #6
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

i fix a lot of ibm laptops, there are chargers out there.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/IBM_Th...P9040/p/248086

there are a few models where the pcb for the charger can be removed without replacing the mainboard. but im sure that model
is not the one

ibm is bad for that.
Old 27th November 2006, 09:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The battery icon on Xp shows 0% charged. Yesterday showed 1%.
I have opened it. Have to removed the modem board, and a little board that conects to the lcd to can see something. It has some IC, and could see a fuse F2, I couldnīt see anyother fuse, but this one seems ok.
I have checked also the backup battery and is ok also.
It seems not easy to repair for some with no experience on this, would need a miracle, or maybe some service.

Any of you could repair it for an aforable price better than bying another used one on ebay?
Iīm opened to repair myself, but I think I would need a guy who know this model and the jungle components there.
Old 27th November 2006, 09:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do I need the IBM battery charger? Or could build a charger with a current AC at 10.8V plugged between pin + - of the battery? If this just work ok, would quite easy to do...??
Old 27th November 2006, 09:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Since your ac adaptor works and the battery has been replaced I think its safe to eliminate those items.

I don't work on IBM's but that does not matter much.
It sounds as if the dc / inverter pcb, whatever IBM calls it has failed.
Its job is to take the power from the adaptor and invert if necessary and channel it to both the battery and the motherboard.
Some computers (usually older models) have this board as a daughter board which seats on the motherboard. Other models have it integrated into the motherboard. If it is separate then you can replace just the dc board otherwise its a motherboard replacement.
Some companies will do a repair / exchange with your old motherboard so you do not pay full price.
In any case, maybe you should see your friendly neighourhood IBM service centre so they can confirm the issue.
Old 27th November 2006, 10:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Here's a possible solution

Most laptops have a power jack with internal mechanical switch that can become damaged when the unit moved and pluged in to the power adaptor. This is a common problem. It does require unit dismantling and solder work. Maby even part replacement if too badly damaged. This will prevent batery for being connected to the charger during operation with the power adaptor pluged in.

Best of luck

Hide this!Advertise here!