iMac SMPS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2006, 04:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Moderator

Default iMac SMPS

Ok guys, I need your help.

My iMac's CRT monitor died today, so I'm going to recase it as per the many mods out there on the web. That bit's no problem. However,all the mods I can find use an ATX power supply, and I'm a cheapskate and want to recycle as much of this as possible.

So, the iMac logic card uses a downconverter, pic below, to convert 24AC to the various DC levels required. However, I assume that this is already switched from mains voltage, so that 24V will be running at a much higher frequency than mains 50Hz. So, my question. Is it possible to reuse the big traffo from the main PSU and create a simple switching front end to drive it at the higher frequency required?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0399.jpg (93.9 KB, 279 views)
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th November 2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
It looks like a flyback so it may work with DC input too. Can you provide more detailed pictures including the bottom side of the PCB?
Old 26th November 2006, 06:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Eva.

I'll post some more pics in a bit, but I just had to put my camera on charge. I suspect it needs AC though as the input goes directly to the legs of the big transformer on the right.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th November 2006, 07:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You've got a prehistoric iMac, back in the dark days of OS9. I've got some service manuals, which generation is it? The manuals won't go as deep as you want, but may be helpful.

Have you considered a refurbished mini? You can run OS X and windows, and it's all in a small tidy package already. Hard to beat if you consider the cost of your time.

Sheldon
Old 26th November 2006, 08:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by stokessd
I've got some service manuals, which generation is it?
It's the first version of the slot loading DV, I found a pdf of the service manual online, but as you say, it doesn't really go into enough detail, "Take this board out and order a replacement from us "doesn't really cut it.

Quote:
... Hard to beat if you consider the cost of your time...
I'm "between jobs" at the moment, so time is plentiful, but cash is short.
Old 26th November 2006, 08:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not that I'm trying to get you to not rebuild your computer, but have you checked on ebay? The CRT imac units are always selling for like $40. I thinking it would be hard to repackage and get a working CRT for the same price.

Sheldon
Old 26th November 2006, 09:28 PM   #7
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I don't want to offer something that might not happen. But I CAN bet that if you ask planet10 for one youll get one for xmas He has so many of them. My therory never hurts to ask, the worst some one will say is no D:
Old 26th November 2006, 10:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by stokessd
The CRT imac units are always selling for like $40. I thinking it would be hard to repackage and get a working CRT for the same price.

Sheldon
In the UK, they go for around 60-100!

Anyway, pic of the underside by the input/output connector:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psu1.jpg (57.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 10:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

And the main rest, I've indicated where the traffo is with a sharpie, and I've also marked the two AC tracks:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psu2.jpg (58.3 KB, 191 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 10:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Close up of the input traffo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psu3.jpg (57.2 KB, 187 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!