About Jung super regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah, thank you so much, Jan, your information is a huge help.

:D

I'm very glad indeed to find out the schematic I looked at was just showing hookups for two different opamps; I was scratching my head indeed over why there would need to be two of them in parallel!

I'll just stick with the transistors; your comments about the disadvantages of MOSFETs sound convincing.

I found the Walter Jung circuit posted earlier in this thread, so I think I'm in good shape; I have several opamps in the solid state drawer, so I'll pull 'em out and try one out!

Cool.

I also wish to build a very good rather high voltage bench supply, something like 0 to 700 V, and am going to track down that circuit mentioned earlier in this thread that is the tube precursor for the solid state "super regulator" for lower voltages. When I find it I'll post it and ask for help re-dimensioning it.

best, charles

OK, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't find my way through the posted links back to the earlier tube-based "super regulator" circuit.

I would really like to build the tube-based super regulator!!

With help from you guys on redimensioning it for higher voltage and to use a couple of these gu50's that I got a whole bunch of...........

So, anyway, could someone kindly supply the circuit or the direct link to the circuit for the tube-based super regulator??

very best, charles

radianceaudio said:
I also wish to build a very good rather high voltage bench supply, something like 0 to 700 V, and am going to track down that circuit mentioned earlier in this thread that is the tube precursor for the solid state "super regulator" for lower voltages. When I find it I'll post it and ask for help re-dimensioning it.
Making a lab PS out of a Super Regulator is not easy and probably not recommendable. It's probably better to have a separate PS for the control section of the PS.

janneman said:
Opamps paralleled: There are no opamps paralleled in this circuit. What you may have seen is peranders' circuit board for this reg where you see two different patterns for two types of opamps; you can use either one but of course NOT both at the same time.
The future is dark for DIL08 parts and bright for any surface mounted one so it's very convenient to be able to choose SO08 opamps which are rather easy to solder. Many new exciting opamps can't be found in DIL08.

Ah....yes, good point, Peranders, thanks,

I see it: as the regulated output varies/drops, especially under 100 V, it's going to be hard to keep the difference amp working.....and to maintain the ratios for the difference amp.....

so, the solution is to have two sections to the regulated output; a well regulated output that provides the voltage for the difference amp, and the variable output that the difference amp actually controls. And, if I'm going to have a 0 to 700 V positive rail, the difference amp probably will need to be referenced to a negative rail negative to neutral....

I'll get back to you on this as soon as I can get my hands on that :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: tube op amp super regulator circuit......

best, charles

P.S. The book mentioned by, I think it was, Mr. Jung, is here:

1. ELECTRONIC ANALOG COMPUTERS. (D-C Analog Computers) 2nd ed.
KORN, Granino A. & KORN, Theresa M.
Bookseller: Elgen Books
(Rockville Centre, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 75.00
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 4.50
[Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: NY,McGraw-Hill,1956. 452pp., illus., ex-lib(call no.removed from spine) VG. Bookseller Inventory # 25.1720

best, charles

Hi Jannemann,

(it struck me that if you sign with your full name I guess I should not assume I can call you by your first....so I'll go with your username until told otherwise) :cool:

Thanks, yeah, I'm a religious reader of Mr. Broskie, this is on my list of things to work out, :)

but I'm stubbornly determined to get to the heart of this tube version of the super regulator, so I ordered the book; :crossfingers:

stubborn persistence, I have found, does make up somewhat for talent; :headbash:

after I thought about it, it seemed to me that a rather hefty reference book on tube analog computing circuits, including the super regulator, could be a treasure store of very nifty goodies indeed....

so, as soon as it gets here, and I located the schematic in question, I'll post it, probably post my own proposed modification - if I'm not baffled - and ask for feedback.

By the way, your explanation of the constant current source part of the Jung super regulator clarified that for me, thank you very much. :cheers:

best, charles

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
radianceaudio said:
[snip]stubborn persistence, I have found, does make up somewhat for talent; :headbash:[snip]

In fact, I believe that what people call 'talent' is mostly stubborn persistence ;)

radianceaudio said:
[snip][snip]after I thought about it, it seemed to me that a rather hefty reference book on tube analog computing circuits, including the super regulator, could be a treasure store of very nifty goodies indeed....

so, as soon as it gets here, and I located the schematic in question, I'll post it, probably post my own proposed modification - if I'm not baffled - and ask for feedback.
[snip]best, charles

Sounds like a good plan.

Jan

Well, I'll be.

And here I thought that was kinda original.

There's not much that hasn't already been said or thought, is there?

My thought about stubbornness substituting for talent is probably at least 100,000 years old, now that I think about it........probably not a lot of Einstein's on the savannah's of Africa back then...except relatively speaking, of course.....

best, charles

Hi,

I have been very interested in building the super regulator for my line level XO network, EQ, CD player, etc.

I need +/-15V to drive up to 7 opamps.

Where can I find the schematic? Are there any kits available? I have briefly read through this site: http://waltjung.org/Regs.html however I have not found the -15V version and am not sure which schematic is the latest.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Bill

I hope you guys aren't asking me, because I sure don't know the answer to either question, except that there are plenty of posted schematics for the jung super regulator in SS, but I have no idea which is best. Question: if the noise is so low your scope won't measure it, which is probably the case with any of the posted schematics, unless you've got one helluva Tek scope, why would it matter which version you use?

My own interest is in the tube version of the super regulator, and when that book finally arrives, I'll post it here and maybe we can have some tube fun.

best, charles

Actually the reason I want to try the Jung regulator is because I am a bit worried about my LM317/LM337 regulator. I followed the data sheet closely to design it and it has been working mostly very well for over 2 years. I am not too worried about the noise or the impedance because obviously the +-15V regulator gives pretty high-end sound.

The only issue is with possible conciliations. I found having low capacitance after the LM317/LM337 (less than 500uF) does not sound good. Adding a Rubycon ZL 2,200uF sounds very good. Of course, for each opamp, I use 125uF per rail, bypassed by 0.01uF film, and a 0.1uF film cross the rails. This sounds the best for me. Noise or impedance is not an issue.

But in a few occasions, which I can not replicate because it is intermittent, I saw my 12" woofers moving in and out at maximum excursion slower with no signals! I reckoned it was some resonance at only a few Hz. Where did they come from, I guess they may come from the low impedance large caps after the LM317/LM337. Because of the low impedance and low ESR, the resonance can not be damped sufficiently.

But would I get the same problem with the Jung regulator? I mean if I add large capacitance after the Jung regulator, would it conciliate at some points? You may say no capacitance is needed after the Jung regulator. Would it sound good in that case? Would it be able to deliver the transient at demands without the capacitor?

Has anyone done any critical A/B test between the sound of a Jung regulator and a very well implemented LM317/LM337 regulator with large caps?

Regards,
Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.