About Jung super regulator - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2006, 10:01 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Ah, thank you so much, Jan, your information is a huge help.

I'm very glad indeed to find out the schematic I looked at was just showing hookups for two different opamps; I was scratching my head indeed over why there would need to be two of them in parallel!

I'll just stick with the transistors; your comments about the disadvantages of MOSFETs sound convincing.

I found the Walter Jung circuit posted earlier in this thread, so I think I'm in good shape; I have several opamps in the solid state drawer, so I'll pull 'em out and try one out!

Cool.

I also wish to build a very good rather high voltage bench supply, something like 0 to 700 V, and am going to track down that circuit mentioned earlier in this thread that is the tube precursor for the solid state "super regulator" for lower voltages. When I find it I'll post it and ask for help re-dimensioning it.

best, charles
Old 3rd December 2006, 11:36 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

OK, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't find my way through the posted links back to the earlier tube-based "super regulator" circuit.

I would really like to build the tube-based super regulator!!

With help from you guys on redimensioning it for higher voltage and to use a couple of these gu50's that I got a whole bunch of...........

So, anyway, could someone kindly supply the circuit or the direct link to the circuit for the tube-based super regulator??

very best, charles
Old 4th December 2006, 12:29 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

By the way, I DID find the book Mr. Jung referred to at ABE Books, but it's 75 bucks plus shipping,

soooooooooo, if somebody has the circuit, it sure would be nice to save the money (that I don't have)......

but, sigh, if nobody has it, I will somehow spring for the book.

best, charles
Old 4th December 2006, 07:01 AM   #44
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I don't know which book you mean exactly but the "Opamp applications handbook" can be bought but also be downloaded for free from analog.com Those in the business get the book for free.
Old 4th December 2006, 07:05 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radianceaudio
I also wish to build a very good rather high voltage bench supply, something like 0 to 700 V, and am going to track down that circuit mentioned earlier in this thread that is the tube precursor for the solid state "super regulator" for lower voltages. When I find it I'll post it and ask for help re-dimensioning it.
Making a lab PS out of a Super Regulator is not easy and probably not recommendable. It's probably better to have a separate PS for the control section of the PS.
Old 4th December 2006, 07:09 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Opamps paralleled: There are no opamps paralleled in this circuit. What you may have seen is peranders' circuit board for this reg where you see two different patterns for two types of opamps; you can use either one but of course NOT both at the same time.
The future is dark for DIL08 parts and bright for any surface mounted one so it's very convenient to be able to choose SO08 opamps which are rather easy to solder. Many new exciting opamps can't be found in DIL08.
Old 4th December 2006, 07:15 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Default About MOSFET's in Super Regulators

As Mr. Didden says, MOSFET's will work but there are pros and cons. A possible con may be higher capacitances which may be a problem in order to block incoming noise but MOSFET's can be seen in the Audiocom's Invisus Super Regulator, see picture below.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...863#post639863
Old 4th December 2006, 07:19 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Ah....yes, good point, Peranders, thanks,

I see it: as the regulated output varies/drops, especially under 100 V, it's going to be hard to keep the difference amp working.....and to maintain the ratios for the difference amp.....

so, the solution is to have two sections to the regulated output; a well regulated output that provides the voltage for the difference amp, and the variable output that the difference amp actually controls. And, if I'm going to have a 0 to 700 V positive rail, the difference amp probably will need to be referenced to a negative rail negative to neutral....

I'll get back to you on this as soon as I can get my hands on that tube op amp super regulator circuit......

best, charles
Old 4th December 2006, 07:20 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

P.S. The book mentioned by, I think it was, Mr. Jung, is here:

1. ELECTRONIC ANALOG COMPUTERS. (D-C Analog Computers) 2nd ed.
KORN, Granino A. & KORN, Theresa M.
Bookseller: Elgen Books
(Rockville Centre, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 75.00
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 4.50
[Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: NY,McGraw-Hill,1956. 452pp., illus., ex-lib(call no.removed from spine) VG. Bookseller Inventory # 25.1720

best, charles
Old 4th December 2006, 07:35 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

If you're only interested in tube regs, maybe you don't want to spend 75 $ for just one schematic. The www.tubecad.com website may already have what you need - for free.

Like here: http://www.tubecad.com/2006/11/blog0087.htm

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!