12V DC to +/- 32V? Do I need to use 220 inverter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I want to supply a DIY preamp, for example +/- 32V, I could use a 12V DC to 220AC inverter, and a current PSU from 220 to +/- 32, but..
could be done a good power supply without having to go to 220AC? And would be clean as well as a current PSU?
I know some comercial devices have something like this inside, and can be powered at 12V or less.
Are avaible comercial devices from 12V DC to +/- superior voltages or must be DIY?

I don't know if they're clean enough, but I think they can be made just as clean as any psu. If they aren't allready....
Do you mean that comercial ones? Do you mean, that if those are not clean enough could be modified to can get it?
If can be made as clean as a psu, would be the perfect option, at least for consumption, weight and space.
I´m looking on the link...

I know dacs can pe very picky to clean power, a preamp can probably work fine on a standard smps.

Standard smps can be made pretty "clean" with for instance a regulator and filters/filter caps... Don't know everything about this though....Most smps circuits have these devices allready on board..

What 32V preamp did you have in mind? There should be preamps (and dacs) that work directly from the 12V...

Is it a car project?

Above this I don't really understand some details from your last post.
I've seen stabilisation circuits that can practically iron down mount everest size impurities.:confused:

I've seen stabilisation circuits that can practically iron down mount everest size impurities.

Perfect!!.

This is one candidate as peamp:http://www.jlmaudio.com/Baby_Animal_Mic_Pre.htm

It´s a kit I must mount. It´s afordable price and there are people using them on studio recording with very good results.
It can run at 12V also, but this would mean internal +-6V. Till I know, and as tell in the web, better results are if higher +- voltage, so if can get them from SMPS, and stabilized ok, so that´s a perfect solution.

The other device I woul like to mount, is a AD (analog to digital converter). I want to take a Cirrus Logica Evaluation board . CBD5381. I have been suggested to change the op-amps and would get a high quality AD converter.
I would like to do the same, with SMPS, but here I¨m afraid if there would be beating frequencies with the preamp one, and more important, if would be any beaten frequencies with the internal clock of the AD that runs at 13MHZ. That must can be solved anyway.
This comercial unit has 12V input, as well as the AC one. I think it must have inside a SMPS, something like this, is what I would like to build.

Hi laugo,

This one might solve your problem. SMPS won't cause any noises if properly designed. Afterall, there is noise everywhere..

Attachments

• p89-f7.jpg
    p89-f7.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 146
rejithcv said:
Oh Damn it! I picked up the wrong file. Forget tat. Here it is ....

Awesome! Could this same circuit used for another output voltages, for example +-13 or +-15? Or must I change some components? This is perfect for the preamp, I ask for an AD coverter.

Well, would be logical to make a DIY project. This forum is for this, but I would prefer buying it, if is avaible anywhere, and save time for making music, (for what really is).

If isn´t avaible, are availbe the pcb circuit to print? or must I design mysefl the pcb?

Hi lago,

Unforunately the pcb layout is not available. This design is actually for driving power amplifier at about 500w or more. In the case of preamp alone,I think you really dont need to choose this circuit. You can try a flyback topology. The o/p voltage can be changed to what u like.

rejithcv said:
Hi lago,

Unforunately the pcb layout is not available. This design is actually for driving power amplifier at about 500w or more. In the case of preamp alone,I think you really dont need to choose this circuit. You can try a flyback topology. The o/p voltage can be changed to what u like.

Ok, as you can see I have not much knowledge for now. How is flyback topology?
As told before, if I can choose, I prefer buying. So if you can guide me to where can get something that could work for the preamp would be great.
And as told, if I have to build, I´ll do.
What I need are just for preamp, and AD converter, so amperage would not be so high. What I need is a very clean supply.

Hi,

If u only need to drive a preamp, then actually there is no need for an smps. You can simply use a stepdown tranformer for this purpose. If u need to use smps, a flyback configuration can be used.It can deliver abt 100w or more. You may find it hard to wind the main transformer as they r not readily available.Here is one flyback circuit which use power switchers. It is almost cheap

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1050233&stamp=1162882492

Hi,

I think i didn' read your previous posts clearly. Really sorry for that. So actually u need a dual power supply out of 12v and that for only driving a preamp and AD converter. In that case, SMPS is not quite necessary. An easy way out is to make a voltage doubler circuit. Here is a simple voltage doubler circuit. You can draw 280mA out of this circuit.

R1 -- 24K 1/4 Watt Resistor
R2 -- 56K 1/4 Watt Resistor
C1 -- 3300pF 25V Ceramic Capacitor
C2 -- 47uF 25V Electrolytic Capacitor
C3 --10uF 25V Electrolytic Capacitor
D1, D2 2 -- 1N4148 Silicon Diode
U1 -- 555 Timer

Attachments

• inverter.gif
    inverter.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 135
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.