Regulated power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm building a HV regulated power supply; it will be used to feed the SE, parafeed, active current amplifier I'm building too.
This is the PS schematic.
It works (with minor modifications), but I have a question: could I use standard rectifier bridges, instead of soft-recovery diodes? this is because I have lot of them, they are cheap and I can optimise the PCB footprint with them (only 1 package instead of 4 TO220 diodes).
My thought is that I do not need really a smooth diode transition, cause the regulator can handle the noise.
Am I right?

Ciao, Giovanni

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Theoretically, your regulator would clean up noise from the rectifier, maybe better with a C (~1uF?) from the output positive rail to the gate of Q2, but just how effective it would be in taming noise I don't know. Why not try it? Your standard bridge rectifiers may not be as noisy as you think, especially if you use snubbers. Your pass regulator design makes sense to me, except I don't know why you need a capacitor across the output?

A little capacitor on the output would help in regulating the output voltage during fast transients; I know the value I used is way too high (it could be as low as 1uF), and there's the risk of oscillating output; I will try the output with various capacitor values during the amplifier test.
There was already a capacitor between output and Q2 gate, and it didn't make a big difference during the preliminary tests...
I will try snubbers, your suggestion is very nice.
Thanks for your answer.

Ciao,
Giovanni

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.