wiring smps in series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, I forgot to add that. The part I would really like to do is re-wind the transformer to get anywhere from +/-12 to +/-24V output. The trick there would be to find an AT or ATX box whose output section had the room for a LCLC output on BOTH of the +12V and +5V outputs.

Fallin' asleep at the keyboard, so I'll sign off for now.:yawn: :sleep:

hi friend,

It seems that u cannot get more current by simply replacing a diode with higher rated ones since it also depends on transformer winding thickness. The -12v and -5v winding are usually lesser in thickness. You may need to change the winding also. It requires greater care in doing so.

Re: reply

rejithcv said:
hi friend,

It seems that u cannot get more current by simply replacing a diode with higher rated ones since it also depends on transformer winding thickness. The -12v and -5v winding are usually lesser in thickness. You may need to change the winding also. It requires greater care in doing so.

There are no specific -12V and -5V windings on the main transformers of classic AT and ATX supplies. There is a set of push-pull windings which are used both for + and - outputs. Furthermore, the 12V windings (7 turns) are actually tapped at 3 turns to obtain 5V. You may sometimes find specific windings for -12V and -5V in the output inductor (yellow toroid), but not all circuits use them.

In other words, the transformer found in most AT and ATX power supplies is ready to produce up to +-20V without rewinding, altough gentle PCB rework may be required sometimes.

I would really like to modify some old ATX power supply to get +/-20V and post detailed explanations and pictures of the process so that other people can repeat it, but I'm currently very busy with commercial projects (maybe in a moth or so...)

Try FEP16DT and FEP16DTA from Fairchild (the D letter may be actually from A to J as it specifies voltage rating, D=200V, A=50V, J=600V). The A suffix is similar to the R suffix of the On-Semi diode and specifies common anode instead of the standard common cathode (very useful for the negative rail). Check Fairchild website.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.