Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

16 volts 3A regulated power supply help
16 volts 3A regulated power supply help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2006, 04:07 PM   #11
Panicos K is offline Panicos K  Europe
diyAudio Member

Sunny e-mail me so that I can dend you a diagram,or a board if you wand
Old 21st October 2006, 05:50 PM   #12
sunny is offline sunny  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sunny
Thanks for your response.I'm the new member to this forum,so i cannot send the personal e-mail.So kindly send me the circuit diagram to my e-mail address
sunny152s@rediffmail.com

Thanks,
SUNNY.
Old 21st October 2006, 08:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

sunny,did you get the pictures?
Old 22nd October 2006, 02:31 AM   #14
N-Channel is offline N-Channel  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Sunny,

Too bad you can't do the LM2576 SimpleSwitcher buck regulator. I'd have that puppy built in a day.

But, as you say, you need it for 12-0-12V Xfmr, so how about this:

Do a conventional transformer-rectifier-inductor-capacitor set-up to get the ~17.8V unregulated output. Then feed this into an LM2587-ADJ SimpleSwitcher IC set up as a flyback. Set the feedback up for a 16V output. Since the '2587 is rated sor 5A (6-6-7A peak), you should be able to recover at least 3.0A from the secondary side. And, because the switching frequency is 100kHz, your output caps and inductors can be rather small.

Here is the National Semiconductor datasheet on the '2587: http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM2587.pdf

This way, you will get the best of both worlds: use of your 240-12V trafo, and clean, efficient regulation with little-to-no heat dissipation.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 22nd October 2006, 02:55 AM   #15
redrabbit is offline redrabbit  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Look at my recent post. There is a diagram. It produces just over 18v unloaded, using a 12-0-12v transformer.
The pic shows you everything that comes just before adding the regulators .
It's easy. Use any rectificier you want that exceeds your needs.
(I am not using a regulator.....why?.....because, of course I can use one, but I've never tried it without one, and, in my circuit it's not necessary.)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=88761

=RR=
Old 22nd October 2006, 02:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Panicos,
I recieved the circuit diagram,pictures and i'm very thankful to you.I have some queries about the circuit diagram,please clarify.

1.Can i use my transformer 12-0-12 for this power supply?

2.what is the output voltage of this circuit?

3.will you please suggest fixed value resistors instead of variable resistors to get 16volts at the output?

Please clarify.
Thanks,
SUNNY.
Old 22nd October 2006, 05:35 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Sunny, 1)Yes you can use your transformer,just use the two 12V wires to get 24V to the AC input of the board, 2)for the 16vdc you want R2 should be around 2K9. R1 is almost standard at 240R. 3)Output of this circuit depends on the chosen R2 value and the transformer used.By following the formula you can easily calculate R2 and therefore DC output. Vout=(1+R2/R1). Make sure that your transformer can deliever 3A. If you'll follow the circuit I sent you,provide enough space for the rectifier to be used,as the space on my board is for W02 rectifier which is rather small.If you need any further I'm here.
Old 23rd October 2006, 05:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

HelloPanicos,
I have calculated the value of R2 as per the formula and the R2 value is 3.6K and still i have some questions ,please clarify.

1.What should be the wattage of R1 ?Can i use 5% tolerence resistor?

2.Please suggest one fixed standard value resistor for R2 and its wattage and tolorence.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
SUNNY.
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

sunny,your calculation of 3K6 for R2 is correct.The same current that flows through R1 also flows through R2.So for the 16vdc you require,R2 should be 3K6,and R1 240R.You could use 5% tolerance but I'd prefer 1%metal film types,0.6 to 0.8W should be ok.Cheers.
Old 24th October 2006, 02:25 AM   #20
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Panicos, why don't you post your circuit? Is it a switching or a linear regulator?

16 volts 3A regulated power supply helpHide this!Advertise here!