Voltage Regulation from a battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I know this isnt audio related but I think that a few of the EEs around could answer my question in 5 seconds.

I'm trying to put together a project for school. I have a 12V (nominal) battery, and need to power 5V motors with the least amount of wasted energy possible (obviously). I know that a 5V regulator can do the job, but I have also learned about step-down dc-dc converters and have found a few chips that would do the job as well. Example: LT1108. DOes anyone know what would be my better option? the regulator would be powering a PWM setup with mosfets. Seems simple enough, but there are phDs written on the topic. Thanks in advance.

regulator

Attachments

• reg1.jpg
    reg1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 227
bigphil said:
the regulator would be powering a PWM setup with mosfets. Seems simple enough, but there are phDs written on the topic. Thanks in advance.

If that's the case, don't bother with the regulator. You can always set the PWM to a maximum of 5V/12V = 41.67%.

That will give you maximum efficiency at the same time. Such limiting can be built into the code of the microcontroller (if it's to be servo-controlled by such).

Just make sure that the PWM frequency is fairly high so that the motor inductance naturally smooths out the pwm pulses...

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.