AC Filtering question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First i know anything i do mains related can be harmful, kill me, damage my house, famaly, etc.....

i have some filterconcepts 3B60 LF 3X60A ac filters, these units are for 3phase power. They have line A-B-C-Neutral and ground pins on input. A-B-C-Neutral ouputs. (see pic)

i have read thru Jon_Risch's site and his diy filter.

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/surge.htm http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/surge.htm

I believe this is the same basic design?

so heres where the sparks fly!

If i take my 115volt ac and connect neutral to neutral , earth to earth and hot to the 3 terminals A-B-C do i get 3 filtered outputs? or alot of smoke? lol

i was thinking of using a small transformer to put out 12volts Ac and testing this idea.

i have insurance, great medical plan, and understanding wife so i think i about ready to try some AC projects. (balanced/isolation/etc)

Attachments

• 09_29_0.jpeg
    09_29_0.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 451
first ...

First of all: you won't hurt this device by running at lower voltage.

You can connect "ordinary" household power thusly:

L1/A = +/- 120 VAC, hot wire, usually the black wire (USA)

N = Common wire, almost always the white wire (USA)

Gnd symbol = Ground wire, sometimes bare wire, sometimes green.

(Unfortunately you won't be able to use the other connections ... unless you want to do both phases of your household power L1/A & L/B ... but this is not recommended as this circuit was designed to filter 3 phases, not 2 ... although it will do an OK job on two (split) phases.)

" ... If i take my 115volt ac and connect neutral to neutral , earth to earth and hot to the 3 terminals A-B-C do i get 3 filtered outputs? or alot of smoke? ..."

No smoke, it just won't filter very well ... Best to just use 115 VAC to L1/A, neutral to neutral, earth ground to earth ground ... and leave the rest alone.

you can see in this new pic that it appears to have the same value filters on all three lines. is it possible that all three of these lines are filtered the same: and adding a bus bar across them would be three filtered lines?

if not these will soon be dumped into the Ebay pile.

Attachments

• 09_30_0.jpg
    09_30_0.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 343
I'm sure the values of the components were specifically chosen to create a given filter, paralleling them would change how the filter works.

I would suggest as FastEddy has and just use one of the L1/X inputs and its output. Or, you could parallel all three L1/X inputs and use one L1/X output + N for three different loads.

Hi,
the filter will work with all three live lines bussed together.
BUT the gound connected capacitors (Y rated) add up to 11nF and paralleling will connect 33nF from live to earth.

If you have any ground connected caps in other equipment your total earth leakage could be a bit high.

Here in the UK we can go as high as 90nF and just stay below leakage limits, but most filters have only 2n2F to earth.

No problem-o ...

" ... I would suggest ... just use one of the L1/X inputs and its output. Or, you could parallel all three L1/X inputs and use one L1/X output + N for three different loads. ..."

Door #1 = just use one input / output = standard line filtering of a single power line. (L1/A or L2/B or L3/C only.)

Door #2 = use two for split phase household wiring (both phases), red and black (USA standard colors for hot wires). (L1/A plus L2/B or L2/B and L3/C.)

Door #3 = use all three inputs & outputs in parallel for a single phase of household power = you stand the chance of filtering some of the actual power, the power close to the power line frequencies (useful harmonics of ~60 Hertz) = generates some added heat = wastes power = distrotion of the power sign wave = :( ... ultimately making the power supply that is connected to this work a little harder & thus wasting more power = adding more heat .... (This is a bit of an exageration, but suffice to say that using all the filtration available in parallel will lower the frequency of the filter(s) ... the rolloff curve / knee point ... and do possibly more harm than good.)

:smash:

thank you all for your time.

fasteddy i promise my head isnt as thick as you might expect. i have no experience with this application, so i asked questions. i landed these units for nothing almost and figured they could be useful in my diy audio system. looking at the schematic on the unit shows 3 indentical lines of filter, and to a rookie you think three filtered lines.

in your last post would option 2 be any better? or just stay with option1.

If I were doing it, I would use ...

... option #2 ... filtering both phases of my household power. ( Door #2 = use two for split phase household wiring (both phases), red and black (USA standard colors for hot wires). (L1/A plus L2/B or L2/B and L3/C.) )

OR!!! since this is an industrial strength filter, it is possible to install it inside the main or sub panel and filter several different power runs into you house ... BUT, unless you have had experience as a real, working electrician and you are completely familiar with the inside of household or commercial main breaker panel and sub panel circuit breaker boxes, DON'T Do It = zzzzzttttt ... :hot:

Sorry to complicate your situation with so many choices, but in reality without spending a lot of time and money, the first option is probably your best (using L1/A and N / Netural plus ground (Earth) connections is you best choice, leaving the other connections out of the circuit).

no i had planned to use these (2xfilters) as the input to my audio system. option 2 sounds good.

as far as the experienced electrician part-----im not

however i have a large network of friends: one who installs/repairs massive air compressors, a top notch carpenter/trim contractor, a machine shop owner, a GREAT welder, etc, etc

this wouldnt be a total diy job. all work would have a supervisor ;) , which is how i learn.

thanks again,

steve

well for a total noobie building something big is what i am doing right now.

current projects:
dipole speakers with 2X dayton RS225, BG neo8 BG neo3 crossed to sealed subs. **lots of reading to do**

need to get a measurment system going also!!

behringer dcx2496 crossover, active filter groupbuy crossovers

4 mini alephs for mid/high *finally getting progress on these*

2 gainclones for midbass. waiting for the twisted overture/symphony, maybe a diy bpa amp.

im crazy for taking on this hobby. i havnt sat and played my cd's on anything but some crappy speakers in so long.

but soon i will have bliss right?

If you connect L1/2/3 inputs in parallel and the outputs likewise, you'll end up not only increasing capacitance as Andrew described, but also decreasing inductance. If one leg of the filter has a high enough current rating for your application, just use one. You can parallel the inputs and use the outputs for separate loads.

Yes!!! ...

wine&dine: " ... If you connect L1/2/3 inputs in parallel and the outputs likewise, you'll end up not only increasing capacitance as Andrew described, but also decreasing inductance. If one leg of the filter has a high enough current rating for your application, just use one. You can parallel the inputs and use the outputs for separate loads. ..."

Yes, absolutely correct ... Wine & Dine's short winded suggestions are much better than my long winded ones ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.