seperate power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it ok to have the power supply in a seperate enclosure to the main power amp?

If so can anybody answer the following please

1. What do you do about grounding? seperate single point chassis ground in each connected together?

2. What connectors work well for both the B+ and heater supplies?

Thanks

no problem-o

... yes, power supplies in seperate enclosures is possible, but not necessarily easy.

Advantages: with seperate enclosures the supply is "isolated" from the main circuit(s) and the cases can serve to seperate the noisey supply from the action in the main case = better filtering is possible.

Disadvantages: obviously there is a much higher parts count = two cases instead on one plus the interconnection hardware.

1) A single ground connect at the output of the external supply ... a star ground network from that point = a good "loop free" design.

2) Connectors? I prefer Molex type plugs and sockets, but others here will probably suggest alternates ... truth is one, paths are many ...

(There is a lot to be said for using a sperate supply for the pre-amp and associated interfaces ... and having a seperate, external 12 VDC supply (or +/- 12 VDC) with associated battery (as "filter" & storage) can be very useful & very successful at powering several "low level" devices and DACs.)

:smash:

I've used Molex connectors successfully but I think the connectors from Neutrik (sp?) are excellent. They have a 'twist-lok' connection that makes positive contact and won't fall out. They also make it virtually impossible to touch the contacts, important with HT.

matthew2456,

Take a look at my site under SE 6C33C-B

The PS's for each channel are on a separate chassis...

Work pending!

Using Amphenol connectors military serie... PT 06 Serie: MIL-C-26482
14/12 for 12 contacts 8 #20 and 4 #16 {Digikey}
1000 Volts AC

Each supply has 2 cables and the connections are made only on the amplifier...
Ground is on the Amp chassis only, the PS chassis are grounded to earth.

12.6VDC 3.3A for 6C33C-b
270 VDC B+
420 DC Volts driver
200V DC Preamp
12.6V DC Heaters 6SN7's in serie
5V DC LCD

That's 12 wires serie 300 or 600Volts

Alain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.