help customize "slow turn-on" duration in this circuit (link to schematics inside)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
help customize "slow turn-on" duration in this circuit (link to schematics inside)

http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled3bf7.gif

that circuit was found in the datasheet of National's LM150. it doesn't say anything about customizing the duration of the slow turn-on.

also can I also place a 10uF (after the 2nd 1N4002) from Vout to ground?

thanks for the help. :)

ps. I have just read a similar thread and there were a lot of off-topic replies. please do it somewhere else. :)

Hi
R3 and C1 is tau or the time constant. The pnp is clamped on at turn-on so Vout is initially equal to Vref. The output slowly rises to the set output voltage after 3-4 time constants.

50K*100u= 5sec
so output goes from Vref to Vout in about 15-20sec

<edit>
This circuit is a good idea for heater warm up time and to prevent the Vreg from current limiting on start up.

changed c1 to 10uF

Attachments

• slowstart.jpg
    slowstart.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 189
It would be simpler to avoid the transistor all together and use just a C across the lower divider resistor...The problem with that is the size of the C would be huge and expensive ...So the transistor and 10uF cap, 50K are acting as a Capacitive multiplier, looking in to the emmiter.... This way a smaller cap can be used..

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.