winding multiple secondaries on a toroid???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to wind my own toroid for a SMPS I need to go from 12v to 18V and ± 25V.

the 3 secondaries (18V and ± 25V) do I need to wind these each all the way around the toroid or can I wind the primary and 3 secondaries over a 1/4 of the toroid each. I'm guessing I can't but had to ask.

EDIT: how many turns would be required for the primary, roughly, are we talking 5, 10, 20 or more?

thanks

Bill.

as far as the number of primary turns, this would be dependent on the frequency through the transformer. For the supplies I have done, I use the following equation:

N = [Vin (min) x e^8]/[K x Fs x Ae x Bmax)], for

N = number of turns
Vin(min) = 11V
K = 4.0 (Sq wave), K = 4.44 (sine wave)
Ae = Effective cross-sectional area of the toroid
Bmax = Max flux density in Gauss (@ switching frequency)

So, at 50kHz (100kHz oscillator), using a #77 material ferrite toroid (FT-140-77), my primary is 4.26T + 4.26T, at 11V minimum input, rounded down to 4T + 4T for the primary. Figuring out the secondaries number of turns ratios is the same as for linear supplies. This equation is good for center-tap push-pull, half-bridge and full-bridge topologies, because their cores swing in opposite (and hopefully equal) directions of the B-H graph, and have better core utilization than uni-polar topologies (single-ended forward and flyback).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.